Trimming Nails?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyluv96

Reaction score
Hello there. I have noticed my bun's nails getting long..and not from looking at them. Ow! :plol He Hates being picked up right now, but I would like to trim hisnails soon. How do you trim a bun's nails, and is there a way to do it with the least amount of anxiety on the bun's part? I don't want to stress him out, or hurt him. Thanks! :)

I have had to learn that its just gotta be done whether they like it or not (even though it is stressful on bun & human). I have a Holland Lop who breathes so heavy that I think he may just have a heart attack one of these days :shock:.

Anyway...I just "bunny burrito" them - wrap them up in a towel and have a leg at a time sticking out. It really helps to have 2 people - one hold the bunny and the other one trimming the nails.

I agree with the it's gotta be done theory. We purchased a pedi-paw (as seen on tv) and what we do is we wrap our buns up in a tight little burrito with a towel or banket and take out just one paw at a time. We let the pedi paw run for a bout thirty seconds before we start. Then it's just one quick motion up and one down for each claw. It's worked for our buuns but the cat will NOT allow it under any circumstance.

Wow that's the first I've heard for pedipaws on a bun. I always thought the noise would freak them out more.

I recommend checking YouTube out. Lots of good videos on how to burrito your bunny and how to clip the nails. Having a second person clip definitely helps until you get the hang of it yourself.

I waited too long to clip one of my rabbit's nails and his dewclaw got so long that it ripped off :( :( he bled a little and I found the nail the next morning. It must have been painful. So yes, trimming regularly is required.

here are multiple articles from the library

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12075&forum_id=17

if you are uncomfortable doing it initially you could have a vet(who deals with rabbits ) or even someone from a shelter or rescue who deal with rabbits show you how.

it takes time to get comfortable doing it and in the beginning it is way easier to have another person assist you

I have never used a pedi- paw either but it sounds interesting :?

There are various videos on youtube on
'How to cut a pet rabbits nails"

What is interesting is that many of the videos demonstrate different techniques butI must admitI believe that the mellow rabbits are selected for the videos . I have had rabbits many years and mine do not just sit still to get their nails done LOL

I tried the bunny burrito tonite to clip Peaches' nails and I could only get his front paws out (actually he kicked them out) - I managed to lay him on his back to do those but he's very furry and I couldn't see his vein very well and did my best. How do you get the back paws out if he's in a burrito? (his back end is wrapped up??)

The back end of the burrito is open so just wrap the towel around him and then gently pull each foot out one at time

one of my techniques is to sit on the floorwith the lower part of my legs under me. I already have the bun in a burrito and place his head toward my body when I want to do his hind legs and turn his feet towards my body when I want to do his front paws.
I use my thighs like a vise to hold him tight so my hands are free.
This is sort of difficult to explain but often times I can do this without turning the bun up side down.
I believe that each person finds a method that is most comfortable for him/her.
it is really important when doing a burrito or holding the bun "like a baby" that he cannot twist or flip his torso around and injure his spine.

I bring Shadow to the spet shop up the road. For $3, I hold her and they clip her nails. She just sits so calmly when she's out of her home environment.

I always take Snuff out on the picnic table and trim his nails and get his hair off. That crazy molting bun.:)

I started by taking just the tips of the nail off, as to not cut into the quick.:) Stick w/ that for now. Watch some vids, those helped me alot!:D

"bunny burrito" It sounds so funny I find myself saying it just to laugh. That's my method for handling nail trimming. I'm a newbie at it, but so are the bun's I have. It's easier when they have no clue what you're about to do them. I'm just making the process as stress free and enjoyable as possible so they won't care about having it done later. So far, I got two done on the first try...still one more to go (nails aren't too long). I may just have her go through the process w/o trimming nails.

I use the scissor style nail trimmer for cats. My preference.

I do admit that it's easier to do this with an assistant. One person holds bunny, other trims nails. it can be quicker.

Latest posts

Back