Trimming nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntloser

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to trim my bunnies nails but one of our buns is cinnamon and doesn't have white nails. They are all brown so I can't tell how far back to trim.

My rabbit has dark brown nails too, so I was initially hesitant to trim them because I was frightened I would hurt her. I found a good trick is the "squeeze test". Position the clippers on her nail and squeezethem twice (but don't actually cut through the nail). If you get a reaction, then you are too far down the nail and need to reposition the clippers. If you don't get a reaction, then it is safe to cut.

Here's a video of the squeeze test that Hope was talking about:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11iQkABq6r0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11iQkABq6r0[/ame]

One of my bunnies has dark nails too and I hate trimming them! I've found that if I hold the nail up to a small lamp and stare at it really good I can see the quick even though the nail is dark. To be extra sure though, I used the squeeze test last time I trimmed the nails and it made me feel a lot better about it :)

Yeah thts what i went on because Dippy has black nails
"Squeeze Squeeze Clip"
"Squeeze Squeeze Clip"
"Squeeze Squeeze Clip"
"Squeeze Squeeze Clip"

LOL
That rabbit was so calm though what a good bunny!

One thing that works great with rabbits with dark nails is to trim them during the daytime in natural light. If you stand near a window, when you look at the nail you can see the quick running through-then be sure to cut above it.

Its also good to keep some styptic powder handy just in case you hit the quick!

I agree with the light-to-the-nail trick. I use a small LED light, pressed up against the side of the nail, to show the quick. Works like a charm on both my dark-nailed rabbit AND my dog!

Thanks. I am going to try the light trick and if that doesn't work.. Ill try the squeeze test.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back