trimming nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hopefully this isn't too big of a problem, but I was clipping Hershey's nails for the first time, and between the wiggling and the fur, I clipped one too short. He jumped right over my shoulder! It bled quite a bit...though I don't think critically. Since I'm better with human first aid, that's what I did. I washed his foot, applied pressure and held his paw above his heart. When it stopped bleeding, I sprayed it with Pet Care Liquid Bandage. Then I cuddled him...A LOT! He even fell asleep on my shoulder so I think he forgives me!

Anyway, is there anything else I should do?

You can do a couple of things if it ever happens again. You can get a small bottle of "Blood Stop". It's a styptic powder that stops the bleeding right away. I prefer to keep it at hand when I'm trimming nails, especially the black ones! Just pick up a pinch andhold it on the end of the nail.

Or you can use a bar of Ivory soap. Drag it firmly and backwards over the nail tip and it will coagulate the blood and stop the bleeding.

Don't panic, don't get upset. Some of their reaction is to our emotions.

BlueGiants wrote:
Or you can use a bar of Ivory soap. Drag it firmly and backwards over the nail tip and it will coagulate the blood and stop the bleeding.

Don't panic, don't get upset. Some of their reaction is to our emotions.

Ivory soap? Never heard that one, cool, but I never have Ivory soap-gives me a rash:grumpy:.

Yes, they do react to our emotions, if they can tell we're panicking, they panic too:(.

Also, I love this one, you can also use flour to stop it. I know you have flour:p.

Good Job, though, sounds like you did everything just right. Hugs-I know it can be scary when that happens.

It never fails no matter how careful I am at get a least one nail too short.Last time Idid Monty and Goobie's nails on my own and didn't clip any nails too short. I always I hate when I do that. I don't like hurting my babies.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:

Ivory soap? Never heard that one, cool, but I never have Ivory soap-gives me a rash:grumpy:.

Yes, they do react to our emotions, if they can tell we're panicking, they panic too:(.

Also, I love this one, you can also use flour to stop it. I know you have flour:p.

Good Job, though, sounds like you did everything just right. Hugs-I know it can be scary when that happens.
Actually, I think there is still a bar of ivory soap in the closet (I'm allergic too! People always laugh at me when they hear that. It's supposed to be 99.4 percent pure!) But guess what? I don't have any flour! Nope, don't cook, don't bake! hehe

I just checked on him, he's hopping around. Looks like he's doing ok!

Thanks for the replies!

It never fails no matter how careful I am at get a least one nail too short.

Me too :(. I just did Carmel's tonight and hit one that bled like crazy. I had my trusty container of styptic powder right there and it stopped right up. Not without me getting a little puff of the stuff in my mouth first, of course.:yuck

But it did freak me out terribly the first time it ever happened. It really looks horrid but, although painful for the bunny, it usually heals up quickly. Even my vet made her bleed badly one time when he was doing the trim, so accidents do happen to everybody.:hug:

Lots of extra love, a treat, and a billion apologies seem to cheer my sweet girl up.;)

I keep a container of corn starch in my grooming box for a bleeding nail.

It also works well with vinegar to get stains out ofwhite fur. Spray the

area with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution and put some corn starch

on it and let dry and then brush it all out.

Roger

WOW! I'm allergic to Ivory soap also! But I can use Dial which a lot of people can't!

I hate when I get a nail too short! I hate trimming nails anymore.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I'm allergic to Ivory soap also!

I think it's probably the scent that they use in the soap, I know Ivory is the ONLY kind my dad can use that doesn't mess with his sinuses.

Luckily I haven't cut Wash's nails too short yet :)but I have all those things on hand, I had no idea about the soap working. Is it just Ivory brand or just a ba of soap that works?

When I clip nails, I always have q-tips, a small container of cornstarch, and a small container of water close by. Dip the q-tip in the water, and then in the cornstarch, and then apply to the nail until bleeding stops.

I think Buck used Kwik Stop steptic powder.

I also use a small flashlight to help locate the quick by holding it behind the nail.

Thanks for all the support and good ideas!

I trimmed some of his nails again today...no blood this time! Lol! Actually, you'd think he'd be easy to trim, as he has white nails, and it's easy to see the quick. He also will hold real still in on his back in the crook of my elbow, however, then I only have one hand to hold the nail and the clipper with!

Anyway, we're getting better at it!

There's a couple of things you might try.

I use a towel to hold my rabbits when clipping their nails.
Some of them need to be wrapped snugly to keep them from squirming, and others lay still for the most part.
The towel makes it easier to hold all of them and helps to free up that hand that holding them enough to hold a paw/nail.

Another thing would to be to sit at a table and rest the bun on it.
I put a towel on the table, and lay the bun on it's back while cradling it (or right-side up if they'll let ya!).
It helps free up that hand again.

Our Brindle is the easiest.
Last time I was able to sit in a chair, and lay her on her backin my lap.I puther head at my knees and her back feet in my face :biggrin2:.

Have you ever tried to trance Hershey?

I was doing a search on bleeding paws as I found blood on the floor and was afraid that Petra may have bit her sister but as it turned out it was one of Cocoa's toe or paw or something. Not sure, She is fine now. I think it's a bit sore but should be ok in a couple of day.

I saw the post about ivory soap and was surprised to find it caused someone else skin problems.

my mother told me years ago that Ivory soap broke me out terribly as a baby. I always thought I was the only one that happened to LOL.

bb
Cyn

Latest posts

Back