Trick or Treat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuttinbutrouble

Reaction score
Ok...I went out to feed the bunnies today andwhen I looked in Hannah's cage there was fur everywhere and some smallspots of blood on her newspapers. I looked in her sleeping box andthere, snuggled in the bottom of the box, were babies. I dunno if Imade a mistake, but I poked around to see how many there were. Therewere 4 babies in total, 2 of them were dead so I took them out. We'veonly had the bunnies for a little over 2 weeks now so I know she had tohave been pregnant before we even brought her home. I have no clue whatto do. HELP!!

Heather

Eeeeeeeek! What a Halloween surprise! I am not abreeder and have never had baby buns, but I am guessing momma will dowhat she needs to do. Just make sure they are warm and she is feedingthem. Oh, and congratulations!

It's gonna be below freezing here for the nextweek or so, and since there's only 2 babies I'm going to bring them andHannah inside to keep them warm.

You will need to make some sort of nest box to hold the babies in, so they don't wander off and die of exposure...

A shoe box will work in a pinch, but anything with sides that are highenough to keep babies in and low enough that mom can get in and outeasily.

Put a bunch of hay in the box, make sure it's nice and compact, thenmake a nice hole in the middle for the babies. Then transferthe babies, the fur, and any other material the mom might have used tobuild a small nest.

Check the babies over to see if they have round bellies. Pickeach one up and inspect them, don't worry, mom won't reject thebabies.

Put the nest box in the cage where the babies where born.

Check tomorrow to make sure they have been fed, their bellies will beround and sometimes you can see a white patch where the milk is.

If they don't look fed, pull the fur back to expose babies, and set momontop. The babies should start feeding right away.Let the babies nurse for at least five minutes, and make sure mom stayscalm by petting her or giving her some treats.

I check my babies every day, most times 3-4 times a day. Youwant to make sure no one gets out of the nest and then freezes.

I also handle my babies alot to make sure they are friendly when theygrow up. I'll take them to the couch with me in a blanket,and just snuggle with them once they are about a week old.

Good luck, and please ask as many questions as you need!

--Dawn

Well, it looks like Hannah had 5 babies. I founda long, small dead one under the 2 live ones. It was so small, half thesize of the others, that I didn't notice it on first inspection. The 2remaining babies are warm, wiggly, and responsive.

I'm sorry about your surprise as you weren't trying to breed her and obviously someone else did.....

But babies can be such fun - so enjoy them. Once their eyes are openand they start getting around the cage it will be hilarious. I haveseveral I'm weaning right now and I love to watch them binky and play.

You've received some good advice on getting the babies fed...let us know if you need more help!

Peg

I just wanted to update......

We have fat and sassy babies. I checked them this morning and both haveround bellies. It looks like 1 got a little bit more milk than theother one, though. Is this something I should worry about?

Yay for fat and sassy babies!!

I wouldn't be overly concerned about one being bigger/fatter as long asthe other one has a round belly as well. There is normallysome discrepencies in size and fatness in a litter, so as long asthere's not a huge difference it should be fine.

And we NEED pictures!!!

--Dawn

I'll take some pictures of them in the morning. :)

On a side note, the breeder said that Hannah had been bred to the buckthat has become my Elliott. She didn't think the breeding had resultedin a pregnancy, though. Surprise.....it did! LOL So I guess that meansthat we currently have a family of 4, plus Cookie (the proverbial 5thwheel) hehe

I want to thank everyone for their advice and knowledge. I'd be a wreck without you guys! :hug:

~Heather, Elliott, Hannah (+2), and Cookie (the 5th wheel)

Ok, so here are some pictures of the babies. Itook some others but they came out too blurrybecause theywere moving around so much. These ones are a bit grainy, too, but thesewere the best of them.

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

Aww, sooo adorable, I love baby bunnies somuch:heartsAnd you can see their little round, pudgy tummiesso that's good!!!:thumbup

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

I think from here on out I'm going to try totake pictures of them every day as a sort of growing up bunny photoalbum. I think it would be neat to go back once their grown and see thegradual changes from one day to the next.

The babies are 18 days old now. They've begunnibbling on hay and some pellets. They're hopping and zipping aroundlike little fleas. LOL

I was wondering, at what age do they start drinking water? And should Ilimit how much hay and pellets they nibble or just let them eat whatthey want?

I posted these in the blog, but I'll add them here, too.

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

Heather

Aww, what little sweet hearts! And absolutly beautiful!

Give them free access to hay and pellets. They will eat as much as they need.

THey should be starting to drink some water. But theygenerally don't drink a lot of water until they are drinking less ofmom's milk.

They look very healthy, and mom seems to be doing a good job.

More pictures please???

--Dawn

Aww baby rexes!!!:heartbeat: I'm in love, bothare definitely added to my bunnynapping list!:devilGlad tosee them doing so well.

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

nuttinbutrouble

Your Babies are Beeeautiful and I love Their Color.:inlove:

Mike E.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"
"Involve Me,I'll Understand"

Back