Treats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roguemoppet

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Well I do a lot of cooking for the birds since they are all on what we call a "Fresh food" diet meaning they don't get a commercial parrot mix. The eclectus do very poorly on parrot pellets and since I am cooking for them it's just as easy to cook for the other three as well.

One of the birds favourite treats are called Sweet potato truffles and I was wondering if it was safe to give the bunnies one now and again. I looked up the safety of sweet potatoes andd rabbits and found several pages that said they were ok and one page that said they aren't.

Anyway the truffles are made like this.

You boil (or bake) a couple large sweet potatoes then mash them with one
large banana, two cups of unsweeted corn cereal (like wheaties) or grape nuts
and two cups of chopped nuts (I usually use pecans and walnuts.)
Add unsweetened juice until the mixture is smoother I usually use blueberry or apple.

Put the mixture in the fridge for about an hour to firm up then roll into balls. For the birds I coat them in hot pepper flakes, wheat germ, or unsweetened coconut.. I'd probably skip that step for the bunnies or only use coconut or maybe uncooked oatmeal.

Any idea if that would be an ok treat on occasion?

~Mim

Hmm... I seem to think I read somewhere that sweet potatoes were not good for buns... I was doing some research because they are one of my PD's favorite foods, and good for them... I'm not positive though, I'm going to look through my notes and see if I can find what I wrote down.

Cut out the nuts, definitely.

Sweet potatoes aren't exactly good for a bunny, but I've given Erik and Ivory a small amount before. Use the uncooked oatmeal or coconut.

Keep into consideration that this treat will have to be given VERY sparingly. I'd say maybe once every two weeks, and in small amounts.

I have to make homemade diets and dinners for my rats, and I am never able to give the bunnies any of it....unless it's a veggie salad or a fruit salad that's "on the rat menu", hehe.

Although, Marlin gets "treats" from the rat's sometimes. The rats throw (really!) Marlin a peice of veggie pasta or a peice of Total cereal every now and then :huh.

undergunfire wrote:
Although, Marlin gets "treats" from the rat's sometimes. The rats throw (really!) Marlin a peice of veggie pasta or a peice of Total cereal every now and then :huh.
That's just adorable! I can picture Marlin sitting there, staring longingly at the pasta or cereal...and the ratties saying, "Well, I suppose we can toss him just ONE..."

*toss*

*catches treat from ratties*

"Hey, thanks, guys!" *nom nom*

Ratties: "Well, hey...maybe someday he'll figure out how to get out, and help us escape, too! Then we can all feast together in the kitchen!"

Too cute...

Back