treats w/seeds, yogurt, etc

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotina

Reaction score
can i give any of these to the bunnies?

1) Apple Raisin Granola Bar - lots of seeds on this.

2) Pineapple yogurt

3) Rainbow blasts - fun flavored timothy

Im thinking definately not the apple raisin granola bar but what aboutthe pineappl yogurt? A friend bought these for our bunnies.

you can give these items to your rabbit but iwould recomend to look at the ingredients and see if there is any sugarin the treat and if there is don't give it to your rabbit.some rabbits don't like seeds and nuts so only give small portions ofthe treat if there is no sugar. other names for sugar are glucose,sucrose, fructose, if there are any ingredients you don't know of lookit up on the computer.also, watch for by-products in yourrabbits food because that is not goodeither.:runningrabbit::bunnynurse:

I'd never heard of these before, thanks for thetip. I wouldn't give them very many, but I think this mightbe an okay treat in very small amounts if you have a fussy bunny. (There's too much sugar, otherwise). Good advicefrom Ani-Lover, watch especially for animal by-products. Idon't recognize any, but maybe Naturestee or somebody with a bettersense of these things will chime in.

LM Animal Farms Rainbow Blasts
2.5 oz. - Rainbow Blasts
SKU: 931055
Wheat middlings, sucrose, dehulled soybean meal, soybean hulls,dehydrated timothy meal, ground corn, gelatin, cane molasses, feedingoatmeal, lignin sulfonate, vegetable oil, salt, calcium panthothenate,thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride,menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite, folic acid, biotin, vitaminB12 supplement, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, zinc oxide, zincsulfate, copper sulfate, ferrous sulfate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide,calcium iodide, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate, propionic acid (apreservative), dried saccharomyces cerevisiae, fermentation extract,dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation extract, driedenterococcus faecium fermentation extract, dried aspergillus nigerfermentation extract, dried bacillus subtillis fermentation extract.

Yogurt isn't great for bunnies, because some can develope a lactose intolerance, I think when they get older.

And the granola bar is way too high in carbs/sugars with the sucroseand the nuts, especially. You're right, I wouldn't feed themany of that.

The best treat is still plain old fruit, but stillin very small amounts. :)

sas

:yeahthat

They might be okay if you feed really tiny amounts.Personally, the only store-bought treats I feed are haycubes. The most common treats I use are oats, raisins, andfresh fruit, all in very small amounts. And canned pumpkin,which I feed like a (sugary) veggie but they love like atreat. The buns go nuts over them, so I don't see a reason toget stuff from the pet store.

If i were you i wouldnt feed them any of thosetreats, because you cant always trust what they say they have in them.Its kinda taking a risk for your bunny.For treats i usuallygive Oreo some fruit, hay & veggie treats,and someoats.

I brought the granola bar back to the store andexchanged for Timothy hay cubes. I tried giving them a yogurt pineappletreat but they wouldnt give it a try. They did however eat the flavoredtimothy hay pellet.

pipp:;)
in mostyogurt treats the first ingredient is sugar and second ingredient inthat treat is sugar or sucrose :mad:

i have been doingalot of research because domino is getting old and i want him in thebest condition possible:inlove:because he is the only bunny i am goingto hae for awhile.

According to the following site:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html
"DON'T FEED POTENTIALLY HARMFUL "TREATS" Remember: a rabbit is alagomorph, not a rodent or a primate. The rabbit digestive tract isphysiologically more similar to that of a horse than to that of arodent or primate, and the intestine and related organs can suffer froman overindulgence in starchy, fatty foods. NEVER feed your rabbitcommercial "gourmet" or "treat" mixes filled with dried fruit, nuts andseeds. These may be safe for a bird or hamster--BUT THEY ARE NOT PROPERFOOD FOR A RABBIT. The sole function of "rabbit gourmet treats" is tolighten your wallet. If the manufacturers of "gourmet rabbit treats"truly cared about your rabbit's health and longevity, they would notmarket such products.
Don't feed your rabbit cookies, crackers, nuts, seeds, breakfastcereals (including oatmeal) or "high fiber" cereals. They may be highfiber for you, but not for your herbivorous rabbit, who's far betterable to completely digest celluose ("dietary fiber") than you are. Fedto a rabbit, the high fat and simple carbohydrate content of "naughtyfoods" may contribute to fatty liver disease, cecal dysbiosis, obesity,and otherwise cause health problems.

A SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT CORN AND OTHER SEEDS Some types of seeds(especially things like "Canadian peas" and corn kernels) have hullsthat are indigestible to a rabbit, and can cause life-threateningintestinal impactions/blockages. Corn, fresh or dried, is NOT safe forrabbits. The hull of corn kernels is composed of a complexpolysaccharide (not cellulose and pectin, of which plant cell walls aremore commonly composed, and which a rabbit can digest) which rabbitscannot digest. We know of more than one rabbit who suffered intestinalimpactions because of the indigestible corn hulls. After emergencymedical treatment, when the poor rabbits finally passed the corn, theirfecal pellets were nearly solid corn hulls! Those rabbits werelucky."
Just thought I would post what I've found. :)

Hugs!

Rosie*

Latest posts

Back