Treats that are not good for Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

i was on a website called http://islandgems.net
and it said that there are a few things that you should not feed abunny or Rabbit. But when i read them i thjought that well my bunnieslove some of this stuff. but i will tell you what the little list is.The stuff is Alfalfa, Lettuce, cabbage, candy, Celery, Broccoli, corn,Dried fruit, nuts, carpet. But some of this stuff my Bunnies love. Cananyone tell me why you should not giuve them to them. And i would liketo hear your thoughts about this. Has anyone else heard anythingdifferent?

Hi Bonnie & Clide.

Generally, it's best to stay away from treats to rabbits.It's highly recommended to give the rabbit a good pellet food (14%+ incrude protein and 18%+ in crude fiber) usually purchased fromfeedstores. Supplying your rabbit with Timothy Haykeeps his/her digestive system moving and functioning properly; it alsoprotects against hair balls getting stuck, is good for their teeth, andthey love it. Always supply the rabbit with fresh water.

Too many treats, such as vegetables,store-bought bunnytreats, fruits, have a lot of sugar in them and can cause problems foryour rabbit's system. It's a good idea to only give yourrabbit a treat two or three times a week, or at the very least, inmoderation. You may check out the following list for an ideaof safe foods for rabbits.http://earthhome.tripod.com/saferab.html

I saw your other post. Welcome to the forum. Read the posts and jump in with any questions you may have.

-Carolyn

Hey Carolyn, did you send the yogurt drops yet? They haven't arrived yet. Just wondering :)

MyBunnyLovesMe wrote:
Hey Carolyn, did you send the yogurt drops yet? They haven't arrived yet. Just wondering :)

Sorry Michelle, I didn't. :? I thought you had seen my other post to you in the thread we discussed that in.

I thought you were leaving for school a week sooner than you did. I wasgoing to wait until you were home to receive it for Megan so thatyou could be the first one to give her one.

-Carolyn

oh, I didn't see that. I'm never moving back home:?I figured I'd get them this week then give them to her onthe weekend lol. Thats okay.

Ah are your buns named Bonnie andClide? I love it! Adorable...I suggested thosenames to another member for her two little baby buns, but she thoughtof some really sweet names that fit them better. I can't getover how cute that is...have you seen the movie? It's prettygood.

-Carrie

Now here is a thought to ponder, if fruit shouldonly be given in moderation (bout two times a week) I have a bit of aconflicting problem. Jade has to have fruit in order to flush out theexcess fur she keeps digesting-no amount of petting/brushing gets ridof it like pineapple. Yet she will get buildup without fruit :?

With this in mind, should she be limited to only twice a week still?And if so, what other options do I have? Btw she has unlimited timothyhay and a good quality pellet..

Cher

Hey, Cher. Personally I thinkthat in addition to the general info that's given out there for bunnynutrition you have to take into account your bunny's individual gastrictolerances.

If the pineapple is helping to keep Jade clear of hairballs inthe amount and frequency that you're giving it to her and she hasn'texhibited any adverse reaction to it, then I say go for it.Continue to give it to her, all the while continuing to carefully watchher poops and behavior for any sign of distress.

Just like humans, I doubt that there is much medical advicethat is one size fits all. Everyone andeverybun has slight nuances in their physical make-up andtolerance for which allowances must be made.

Hope this helps! :)

Luv mainly just loves her pellets and hay. But ifound out she loves celery, especially the leaves. I just give her a acouple inches of celerly about twice a week. she dont waste anytimeeating it.

Cristy

ThanxsBunnyMommy, good points~so of course it helps! And believe me, I haveeyes like a hawk on those boxes oftheirs...

Cher

I should send youthe yogurt drops I just bought for Elf, Michelle. She's such a pickylil thing. She won't touch 'em. Silly bunny. I even offered it to herin my hand, like I do with carrots. She simply bent her head down forpets instead. psh

rabbit_eating_carrot_lg_clr.gif

You know, I'mreally confused:? I've spent a lot of timeresearching this whole food thing and most of what I found said thatthey should have a good mix of vegetables, unlimited timothy hay,unlimited pellets up to a certain age and then a limited amountdetermined by weight. Most info has suggested that fruit beused very sparingly due to sugar content and the same withtreats. I'm just learning because Sebastian is only 4 monthsold, but I watch his poo for signs of how his diet is effectinghim. He gets a leaf of kale, romaine, etc. and a baby carroteach day with his hay and pellets. And a yogurt drop everyday or two... ;)

RaspberrySwirl, your confusion isunderstandable. Most of the info out there about bunnynutrition is conflictatory and varied. You can talk to anytwo bunny "experts" and get two completely differentopinions. It just depends on what your personal philosophy isbeyond the basics of what they must have (hay, water,etc.).

Here's a great website that I think presents all thefundamental information of bunny's gastrointestinal/digestive needs yetleaves the field open wide enough for you to choose your own philosophyin this area:

www.carrotcafe.com

Hope this helps! :)

P.S. I follow the House Rabbit Society's(www.rabbit.org) nutrition plan for my Sherman.

Thanksbunnymommy! The first web site was interesting and was one Ihadn't been to. I think I basically follow the same diet thatyou follow for Sherman. I had planned to continue to addfresh greens to his meals as he grows and will try to keep a handle onthose treats! You know, before I leave off I will alsomention that Sebastian also browses on grass quite a bit. Wehave a nice large lawn and a collapsible pen that we move around sothat he can be near we are gardening or playing. He enjoys itvery much.

Thank you for all the thoughts. And you were talking about the yogurtchips well you knwo what my bunnies will not eat them for nothing butthen will eat alot of other thinngs like rasins and onion tops and alot og other weird stuff. But i do not know about them they are prettyfunny how theeat!!!![align=center][/align]

Latest posts

Back