Traveling with Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blyre

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place so bear with me.

My Mom lives down in South Carolina and I was planning to drive down tosee her over the holiday season but I'm not sure if I can because Ican't leave the buns by themselves and I really don't want to boardthem while I'm gone. I searched through the forums but I can't find anyadvice on traveling with bunnies. I'd hate to cancel my plans but Icouldn't bear to be without them.

Can someone please give me some advice on what I need to do and have to bring the babies with me?

Blyre

domino absolutley loves going for car rides butif your bunniesare young you should start by traveling shortdistances like maybe 10 minutes then up to maybe a half hour and ifthey are okay with that you can bring them. things to have hany andbring are a carrier big enough for bunny to stretch out in and bring asmuch food as bunnies consume for length of stay and plenty of water.bring toys and blankets so bunnies stay warm and occupied and keep aneye on them so they dont go into shock or try to get out of cage. alsoTHIS REALLY WORKS WELL if you put the bunnies in a carrier buy a smallpack of wee-wee pads found in dog section of pet storea or trainingpads they are sometimes called and put them in the carrier so theyabsorb pee and the rabbits stay clean

good luck

yup, try the car ride in advance. . .winnieloves to sit in the carrier, it is normally on the front seat with thedoor open so she can peek out and look out the window when she gets theitch to.

herman on the otherside freaks out if he is in a carrier while driving(perfectly find till the car starts up), he normally rides in my lap. ..just plops down and stretches out, he isn't interested in looking outthe window, ormoving around, just lays there and takes a nap.. .but if he is in a carrier, he will thrash around to the point iworry about him breaking a bone (or neck).

also a trick for long rides were water bottles really going to make amess (i got this from my showing days were rabbits had a long day oftravel and show). we would soak baby carrots in water overnight, thenthe next day just toss one in at the start of the ride, or if yourrabbits tend to eat them all right away, 1/2 through the ride. . .itcontains the water to help them through the ride without a sloshingbowl, or leaking bottle. plus the chewing keeps them rather content onthe road.

the longest my bunnies have ever travelled is about half hour in the car and they seem to hate it!

ive tried leaving them in a carrier, coving the carrier so they cantsee out, talking to them in the carrier, trying to feed them but theywerent interested but last tiem we went on a trip i let them in turncome out onto my lap and id cuddel them and play with them while we aregoing along this seems to work for Daisy as she really doesnt likebeing cooped up even though she doesnt like cuddles normally in the carshes alright. Dandy on the other hand hates both ways she doesnt seemto be happy anyway ive tried!

id advise building up the length of the trips and try differnt ways ofthem travelling, if any of them get on try travelling them in an extralarge container or even one of those dog cage things if there are quitea few of them, cover them/ dont cover them, let them onto your lap,letting them eat, travelling then being able to see out the window ornot/ seeing each other or you or not!

hope this helps!

Well, my Christmas plans are dashed because I'mgoing to be needed on the job. I'm still going to prepare the buns forroad trips because sooner or later, I'm going to want to pack them upand take off.

I'm glad I have an understanding family.

Blyre

Latest posts

Back