Transportation to Fair.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallingStar

Reaction score
Ok, well the fair is coming up and we are hauling in our rabbits tomorrow night. And we don't have any room inside the truck for cages because of feed, crocks, hay,chairsetc. So the only way I could get the rabbits there is in the back of the truck. So I was wondering what I could do so my rabbits would be safe back there.. It's about a 45min. drive to the fair grounds.

So any thoughts/suggestions thatI could do? Please respond because I'm leaving tomorrow to take them there..

Thanks.

~

Karlee

Does the back of the truck have a shell on it?

If not, please do not make your rabbits ride back there. Every time I see a person letting a dog ride in the back I cringe....one accident and that dog is dead.

It's not safe for humans or animals to ride in the bed of a truck. With the wind and every thing, I feel that your bunnies will have a lot of stress be put on them.

There is absolutely no way I would put rabbits in the back of a truck - especially on the way to a show which will be very stressful.

The feed and everything else would go in the back of the truck (in Rubbermaid totes or garbage bags if I was afraid of rain)...and then the bunnies IN the truck.

Yes, defintiely - do not put them in the back of an open truck.. you could be facing huge tragedies if something were to happen.. cage got loose and was rolling around in the back or got enough wind under it to blow out.. heart attacks from the wind, noiseand motion/vibration... definitely not a good situation to put rabbits in at all.. they need to be safe and secure.

I agree with Peg - feed, chairs, etc. weigh a LOT more than bunnies/cages.. so if you are worried about the feed blowing out or getting wrecked, anchor it down and protect it.

Worst comes to worse, anyone else coming to the fair that can help transport?

You do realize that the wind in the back of the truck is totally going to ruin the coats for a good 3 to 4 months.. right? all the conditioning and everything you put into their coats for naught..

Seriously.. your telling me the crocks and the chairs and gear need to be in the front of the truck?

Mine have been in the back of the truck.... but I have a cover and a load bar...and the fair grounds are 15 minutes from my house, and it's October when we go.. so it's cool, not the middle of summer..

Ugh..

Just..UGH!!!!!!!!!

She cannot put them in the truck because the cages don't have bottoms on them. She has no other carriers. She can put a towel over them and her mom knows to drive slower. I am sure they will try and take the backroads but they may have to use the freeway at some point.

Ok, wow!! I'm sorry ok. Jeez, you don't have to flip out.. I'm a new rabbit owner, so youdon't have to be so harsh. This is the second time people have just flipped out on me, over something I'm not educated on. I thought this site was supposed to help people learn about rabbits and enjoy owning rabbits, well it seems like to me, most people like to be rude and harsh..

I'm taking a break from here...

BSAR wrote:
She cannot put them in the truck because the cages don't have bottoms on them. She has no other carriers. She can put a towel over them and her mom knows to drive slower. I am sure they will try and take the backroads but they may have to use the freeway at some point.
I know what I'm going to say is going to sound harsh. I don't mean it that way - but I think it needs to be said.

If you are going to show rabbits - then you need to be responsible for all the things that go into showing rabbits. That includes having carriers to take them back and forth to the show - so they can travel in safety and comfort.

Since we usually know about shows weeks in advance - that gives owners plenty of time to order carriers if need be (or even buy/borrow dog kennels if need be). Another options is to arrange transportation with someone else who is going to the fair.

But to subject a rabbit to a 45 minute ride in the back of a truck - in summer weather - is not fair to the rabbit and I imagine that whether you travel on back roads or freeway - it could cause an animal stress and even cause it to die from the stress or have its immune system compromised from the stress.

Bottom line: If you can't be prepared to safely transport animals to a show - don't take them.

Carrying cages are kind of rare around here. I dont even know where mine came from. pennsylvania i think. most people come from other states to sell them. we are the only other people she knows who is going to fair, and we have no room for her rabbits. They have been on the freeway before in the back of the truck for at least 15 min and they were fine. She is going to see if she can put them in the truck.

As for the cages not having bottoms on them, a few times I have allowed more kids than I have carriers with bottoms to show my bunnies..

Wal-Mart has a Picnic style plastic lined tablecloth in the camping aisle for $2.50. You can also buy a new 6x8 tarp to place on your seat. I have a Limited Edition Numbered truck, and my bunnies ride IN the truck ON the tarps WHEN I have to use THOSE carriers..

Excuses..

She has boxes that she may use. Then she will put them in the carriers at fair to transport them to their cages. That way the boxes (with holes) can be in the truck and the empty carriers in back. She just told me the seats can fold up so she is going to be putting them in the truck no matter what.

BSAR wrote:
Carrying cages are kind of rare around here. I dont even know where mine came from. pennsylvania i think. most people come from other states to sell them. we are the only other people she knows who is going to fair, and we have no room for her rabbits. They have been on the freeway before in the back of the truck for at least 15 min and they were fine. She is going to see if she can put them in the truck.
I just emailed one of my breeder friends in WA state - I know of at least three or four professional breeders in the area and I know they all use carrying cages (I've seen pictures from the shows and I've seen the carriers they use - plus they ship with carriers too).

I'll try to get you a link to a company for future reference.

I know a lot of people order from www.bunnyrabbit.com but that is here in Texas. I think that the company these folks use is from OR or WA state.

GoingBackToCali: First off, I'm not the one saying all those things, BSAR is. And you can call them "excuses" all you want. And second off, do you live in Washington? No. You don't. And carrying cages that are cheep and not $35 each, are hard to find. Because the cheepest carrying cages I have found are around $30-$35 each.

That is true what BSAR said. I did tell her that.

TinysMom wrote:
BSAR wrote:
I just emailed one of my breeder friends in WA state - I know of at least three or four professional breeders in the area and I know they all use carrying cages (I've seen pictures from the shows and I've seen the carriers they use - plus they ship with carriers too).

I'll try to get you a link to a company for future reference.

I know a lot of people order from http://www.bunnyrabbit.com but that is here in Texas. I think that the company these folks use is from OR or WA state.
Thanks. But we have carriers. Karlee is the one who needs new ones and I am sure she is saving up to buy and order some. We gave her our old ones without trays becuase we couldnt find the right size tray for them so we bought new ones. We gave the others to her because she needed them.

Carriers or not.. tarps and plastic table cloths.. or plastic dog carriers lined with care fresh and hay..

I am sorry... just absolute blatant disregard and disrespectful..

And I may not live in Washington State.. but I have visitied there.. and I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

Anyway... I am done with this subject..Have a good evening.

FallingStar wrote:
GoingBackToCali: First off, I'm not the one saying all those things, BSAR is. And you can call them "excuses" all you want. And second off, do you live in Washington? No. You don't. And carrying cages that are cheep and not $35 each, are hard to find. Because the cheepest carrying cages I have found are around $30-$35 each.

That is true what BSAR said. I did tell her that.
The fact is - if you're going to show rabbits - there are going to be expenses. You have the gas to get to the show....the show fees....and yes....the expense of buying something that is safe for your rabbits to travel in.

I don't remember how long you've had rabbits - but I know that fairs are regularly scheduled in advance. Before the next fair you want to attend - you can save up some money perhaps and buy a carrier now that you know the importance of it. I don't know how many rabbits you have - but if you only have one or two - one of the bunnyrabbit.com 1 hole carriers is $16. Their two hole carriers start out at $35 - so yes, they do get pricey.

Unfortunately, that is the cost of being responsible and keeping your rabbits safe when going to shows.

The tarp or tablecloth under the cage is another idea - if you take the bunnies in a box inside the truck like you're saying.

Perhaps you can earn the money somehow - or ask for a carrier for your birthday or Christmas. Not a glamorous gift - but at least healthier for your bunnies to travel in.

Good luck at the fair....let us know how you do.

Peg, yes rabbit owners in WA state use those carriers, but they buy them from other states. We bought ours through KW Cages. Others have too ;)

As for the weather situation - it feels like spring here, so don't be saying it's 100 degrees yadda yadda yadda when it's only about 60....and you don't know what our weather's like.

On the topic of letting animals ride in backs of trucks - cars are dangerous no matter where the animal is riding....whether it be a dog in the back of a truck, in the cab, a horse in a trailer - different ways, all dangerous. ;)

The point being, Karlee is concered. She came on here asking for your all's help, what do y'all do? Blow up in her face. She's getting tired of the attitudes people are giving to her....and I am too; she's my friend. I protect my friends.

She came on here wanting to know what she could do to get around the situation of them traveling in the back of a truck. If all you can do is bash her about it, then please don't say anything, cuz honestly, she doesn't want to hear it, she just wants a way around the topic, if ya get my drift.

Sorry if I come off as harsh/rude, but some of you owe Karlee an apology too :)

Emily

**senses a snotty teenageer**

Whoops! :juggle :headsmack

Rabbits are expensive, weather you show them or not. If one can't simply afford $35 for proper carries to get the rabbits to a show, one can't afford hundreds of dollars at the vet if a doe has complications during birth.

Just because a vehicle is dangerous for all, doesn't make a difference between riding in the cab or in the bed. Riding in the cab gives you a better chance at living, rather than dying.

Making an animal ride in the bed of a truck, to keep your seats nice and pretty....is just plain wrong.

Latest posts

Back