Transparent jello form diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivibee

Reaction score
My bunny is not pooping regularly. This is a long story, sorry...
Starting Tuesday night, he refused to eat his pellet.
Wednesday, didn't eat any pellet, but drank lots of water and few bites of hay. No poop.
Thursday, didn't eat any pellet, had more water and few more bites of hay, and little bit of bok-choy leaf. I also gave him 2 times of Fibreplex (by Protexin veterinary) given by the vet, it's a probiotic and prebiotic supplement help digestive function. Still no poop.
Friday morning, had more hay and water, fed him another dose of Fibreplex. No poop.
Friday evening, pooped two huge piece of poop!!!!! They are gigantic!! It's almost as big as a globe grape! The same night he started eating more hay and finally started to eat pellet!!!!
Saturday morning, pooped a few more small pieces, solid. Had more pellet, water and hay. But he started to have diarrhea in the afternoon, irregular shape, a little bit watery. But he still wanted to eat pellet and drink water. Just now, he had another diarrhea, very small pieces, but it's transparent jello form, I have never seen.

He is clearly not as playful as usual, but he is still curious to his surroundings.

Is Feichai in a serious condition? Sorry for my unorganized report, I'm very worried and couldn't not put together my thoughts. I'll be very appreciate for any kind of advise. Thank you thank you!

I don't know much but this info could help.Little easierfor people to read all your info.Is your vet rabbit savy?

- Description (Breed, color., weight)

- spayed/neutered?

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal?
- When did they last use their litterbox?
- Any unusual behavior?

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before?

- Diet - what does your bunny eat?
- when and what did s/he eat last?

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally?

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach?

- has the rabbit been outdoors?

Because he didn't poop for so long he probably has some detrimental bacteria in his GI tract.
You probably need to go to a vet for a drug that will help that is called Flagyl (metronidazole)..the mucous is from the detrimental bacteria and so is the diarrhea.

I would also suggest getting some Pedialyte (baby electrolyte drink) and syringe your rabbit this drink as much as he will take .

Hydration is very important right now

I don't know how to dose Fibreplex but continue to give it as instructed.
You stated it contains a probiotic which is very important
Also push hay ; I think it still would be Ok togive some greens despite the loose poops but hay is more impotrant

there is a product that can be ordered on-line that is extremely useful for clostridium and that is the biosponge ...

http://www.entirelypets.com/platbio15cc.html

probably can't get this in time ; I am suggesting that evryone order it and keep it on hand for emergencies

If you are indeed in Texas I would go out and get a probiotic called benebac from petmart or petco . You can also use Probios for horses which is sold in feed store or farm stores like tractor supply

also get some baby liquid gas drops (Just simethicone )and give a few doses (1cc) of this about 1 hour apart X 3 doses if neccesssary

Brand names are Mylicon Infant drops or Gas X with simethicone as the only ingrdient

Bottom line isgo to a rabbit knowledgeable vet also

Looks like Fibreplex is basically the same as benebac so I would use one or the other . Fibreplex has fiber which is good so if you are familar with it just keep using that instead of benebac. i

Mucus on poo is a sign of GI upset. It could mean that something was bad before and it's clearing up, or it could mean that things are getting worse. I think the addition of diarrhea to his symptoms is not a good sign. He's clearly been having issues that are pretty complex for several days now, so unless he's better tomorrow, he should go to the vet. It's possible but unlikely that this mucousy diarrhea is the bad stuff working its way you of the system and it will resolve itself overnight; if it doesn't, it could be a much worse sign of a large bacterial overgrowth in his intestines as angieluv said.

Is the FibrePlex oily or like a paste/gel? If it is oil-based, like vaseline, rather than water-based, it could be harmful for a gut stasis event. I can't figure out whether it's oily or watery from the internet.

Mucus in the fecal matter is always an indication of a bacterial irritation....most likely from a nasty little bug known as Clostridium. We have used Metronidazole (Flagyl) for years. Not working as well as it has in years past. Most other antibioitics are ineffective since this is an obligate anaerobic bacteria. I have recently been having huge successes in using a horse product called BioSponge. This product (comes in a powder or loose paste) is excellent at binding and filtering enterotoxins related to an overgrowth of Clostridium. Has been a life saver in both squirrels and rabbits. I would find the equine community.... and as many horses as there are in your area, I bet you can find some BioSponge. We keep a huge canister of powder on hand at all time now.

Randy

Thank you all for your helpful advices and precious information!!!! I will definitely get the BioSponge for emergency use.
My bunny has recovered significantly within the past 24 hours. He is back to the playful mode, strong appetite, eating lots of hay and drinking water. I stopped giving him Fibreplex. (Fibreplex is definitely not water-based. It's more paste-like, but I'm not sure if it's oil-base).
His poops are mostly in small round shape, but still a little moist and very few gel-like ones. In fact, I'm just now witnessing him eating off his moist ones, including 3 brown-gel form poop.
I no longer live in Texas. I live in China now. There is no good vet for rabbit. I usually have to travel to Hong Kong (very nearby) to get medicine for him. Since my rabbit can't cross the border, I'd usually bring videos of him to show the vet, and his poop for examination.
Hopefully my bun bun is really recovering, I'm very nervous because he is quite old. Is 7 years old consider very old for a mini-rex?

Thank you all again! I will keep you posted!

Glad the Fibre-Plex isn't oil-based and Feichai is doing better! 7 is a bit old--at the shelter we'd consider that "elderly," but it certainly doesn't mean he's living on borrowed time. I remember recently a mini-rex that lived to 10.

Latest posts

Back