Transdermal Baytril

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueGiants

Reaction score
A rabbit that I placed (7 years ago) in a great home developed a sneeze with slight discharge. I sent them to my vet and she put her on Baytril, but it's Trans-dermal... in a paste form that they rub in her ear once a day. It gets absorbed through the skin. Supposed to prevent digestive problems and intestinal issues usually caused by antibiotics.

It sounds like a really great idea, and from what I've been reading, they use it a lot in cats that won't take pills. Does anyone here have any personal experience with this method of drug delivery and do my friends need to watch out for any issues specific to this method of delivery?

I've heard trasdermal medication mentioned at the vet where I work. I think they usually reserve it for the really aggressive cats that are nearly impossible to pill.

I'm just wondering how effective it is in rabbits. Seems like a good idea if it doesn't upset the digestive tract. But this is the first I've heard of it being used with a rabbit. (Don't get me wrong... I love my vet and trust her totally with all my animals. Just asking if anyone else has experience with this.)

I have never heard of it. I worry that because it's an antibiotic that the transdermal route wouldn't work. For antibiotics, especially at the beginning of an infection, you want to get the concentration of the drug up quickly to start attacking the infection. Low doses over a long time only lead to resistance, not treatment. Transdermal absorption typically leads to lower blood concentrations over a longer period of time, or it's good for a problem localized to the skin. It's good for some pain medication (like fentanyl), and flea medication, but I wouldn't like it for an antibiotic.

But then again, I don't have practical experience, just some pharmacokinetics classes and friends who work on transdermal drug delivery. ;)

Also, Baytril is usually pretty well tolerated in terms of GI issues. If there are problems, something like Bene-Bac can easily be added to compensate. I'd actually prefer injectible Baytril if GI issues are a concern. Baytril is one of the weaker, broader-spectrum antibiotics, so you really need to get the concentration high and keep it there for a few weeks in order to get things working.

I have heard of some transdermal medications for animals.....but I have two concerns. First, rabbit skin is much different than many other animals so I would be concerned about irritation and exact absorbtion and next, Baytril doesn't do much good no matter how you dose it. I don't know of many vets that use Baytril in anything....including dogs which is what it is licensed for (and it's a big no-no with cats). If it works without side effects....that will be an upside. As everyone knows, I prefer injectables. Upside is you can be much more aggressive with the drugs and injecting makes sure the precise amount of drug is administered. Downside is that not everyone is comfortable with injections. The absorbing of the drug might not be fast enough to do battle with some fast acting infections. I think most transdermals are made at a lower dose more for maintenance than for systemic treatment.

Randy

Back