Trancing a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleo3

Reaction score
I'm having trouble trimming my lionhead's nails and was told about trancing by a customer at the pet store I work at. Based on what I've found, the rabbit needs to be gently placed on his back with his hind end higher than his head and his face should be "massaged" around the cheeks and nose in order for this to work. I've tried it several times, but he doesn't seem to respond to it. I have, however, been able to trance another rabbit that we have at the store. Are some bunnies more sensitive to trancing than others?

I was also wondering what the risks/benefits of trancing are. Are there other methods to calm him for such maintenance?

I can trance most of my bunnies, but not Pipp. Not a chance.

Sherry isn't easy either. A dwarf trait maybe?

I don't think it hurts them, but I honestly think its an equilibrium thing related to their inner ears, similar to my positional vertigo. They may lie still because they're having the bunny-equivelant of head spinning -- which appears to be a lot more pleasant than the human version, it never seems to bother anybunny, not even a head shake.

A lot of people don't agree with my theory though.

sas :dunno

I dont think that it hurts them or bothers them in any way..my holland lop, Vegas, doesnt close his eyes when I try to trance him, so I usually rub his stomach slowly and he starts to look more like a tranced bunny.

If you wrap them 'burrito style' in a cozy towel so they cant move but arent struggling(that could cause severe damage), usually that helps if you pull one little foot out at a time..

jleo3 wrote:
I'm having trouble trimming my lionhead's nails and was told about trancing by a customer at the pet store I work at. Based on what I've found, the rabbit needs to be gently placed on his back with his hind end higher than his head and his face should be "massaged" around the cheeks and nose in order for this to work. I've tried it several times, but he doesn't seem to respond to it. I have, however, been able to trance another rabbit that we have at the store. Are some bunnies more sensitive to trancing than others?

I was also wondering what the risks/benefits of trancing are. Are there other methods to calm him for such maintenance?
if this is a method of calming ,,and if it works--what the hay,,but as for trimming in this position,,no,,-i would be afraid of spinal damage from twisting,,jerking around,-,i simply cradle the bun on my left and trim all nails..sincerely james waller:wave::rose:i generally as a rule of thumb trim only about quarter inch off,,less sign of blood/injury

Trancing can help sometimes. I find that, my bunnies don't stay in the trance for too long. On average it's about 2 minutes.. if they are comfy they can go longer sometimes.

Em, I have a video on my youtube channel on how I tranced my bunny

www.youtube.com/nicolevins

Latest posts

Back