Trancing a pregnant bunnie??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimD

Reaction score
Greetings to All!!

Is it okay to trance a pregnant bunnie?? :?

I'm going to the pet store to visit themommie bunnie that I've posted about (RE: HELP!!!EMERGENCY...etc).:(

I would like to clip her nails. Shemight let us do it while she sits normally, but I wanted to beprepared. Her nails are about an inch long. :shock:

We will most likely go tomorrow. I planon bringing Danielle, a towel, our clippers, and maybe some treats.Clip a little and be careful of the quick....her nails areblack.I'll check to see if they have QuickStop andI'll bring some corn starch just in case. ;)

Any input is most welcome. :D

Jim

Maybe you could try wrapping her in a towel (likea baby) and flipping her on herbackinstead oftrancing her. I don't know if trancing would be bad for her, I alwayshad trouble with my bunnies not staying in a trance long enough for meto clip their nails.

As for the black nails (my CupCake has black nails) first look for awhite nail and if she has a white nail you can judge how far to cut theother nails without hitting the quick. If not, I wouldn't cut more thana half an inch (or longer) from where the nail starts. I've heard thatif you shine a flashlight under darker nails you can see the outline ofthe guick, but I haven't tried it so I don't know if it is true.

Lissa

Depending upon the strength of the light source,and I prefer to do it outside in direct sunlight, onecanperceive a difference in the "density" of thedarker nails where the quick ends and the "dead" nail begins.I find the quick portion tends to be ever so slightly reddish(bloodflow)when the light comes from behind the nail, whereas the "dead" nailis darker and more opaque. Sometimes, with real dark nails,it is difficult to distinguish the difference, but I believe it isthere and becomes easier to find with experience.

In the event you can't determine quick from "dead" nail, one has otheralternatives. Take little "snippets," one at a time, until you begin toapproach the quick. By looking at the "cut end" of the nail,you should seethe nail tissuebegin to get pinker incolor, as opposed to its usual "cottony white" on darker nails, whenyou are getting close to the quick. Bun alsomightflinch a bit more because you're getting closer to a sensitivearea. A down side to this approach is it takes a good deallonger to complete the job because you are, in fact, taking littlemultiple snippets of each of 10 nails.

Another "approach," which granted is kind of subjective in the judgmentrequired, is to cut the "curved tip" off the nail only. Thismethod is safer when nails are long and, in fact, have a noticeablecurveto their side view. It almost seems like thebun's toes are elevated directly behind the nails because oftheir curved length.

Front nails grow more quickly, and therefore, longer than rear nails...Nature's way of equipping our buns for their digging chores in thewild, erego, the rear nails might not need as much trimmingas the front. Don't think, therefore, that front and rearnails need to "look" equal in length in orderto be donecorrectly.

Bring a Q-Tip with you and a littler container for some water todipthe Q-Tipin prior to dipping it in theQuik-Stop, corn starch, talc, flour, or whatever you have to staunchthe blood flow, if necessary. The damp Q-Tip makes picking upthe substance easier and permits the material to adhere to the end ofthe nail better.

Quik-Stop and bunny blood has a tendency to permanently stain clothesdirectly proportional tohow much you value the particularitem of clothing. Wearing old clothes meansnothingwill stain. Something youvaluewill hold the stain like it was dye. Come to think of it, thecolor of Quik-Stop, yellow, is probably just that, dye!

Good luck! It is a nice thing you are attempting to do andwhat goes around, comes around. It'll come back at you insome nice manner, some how, some day. Fits in appropriatelywith the holiday season.

Glad you have decided to join and stay with us here on the forum. You are a welcomed and valued addition to the crew.

Buck

We are just scared that they wont let us cut hernails. If they dont is it possible that the ASPCA can do somethingabout this? Im scared she will hurt the babies, not to mention herselfwhen she scratches!!

My suggestion is to place a handtowelflat on the floor then place the momma in the middle of the towel andtightly pull the rest to her back. Then someone flip her on her backand the other person can pull one foot at a time and clip the nail.That way she can't get hurt with her feet entrapped.

Back