Training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbygirl

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I have some questionsregarding training of rabbits. I have a netherland dwarfrabbit. Can you pls tell me how old must a rabbit be to beneutered? and to be considered an adult rabbit? Cananyone pls tell me in what can rabbits be trained i.e. what they canlearn to do and maybe some instructions how? My bobby isquite vivid. He likes to run and hop but i don't seem to knowhow to train him do things! He doesn't want to be picked up -any help on this? I'd like him to get used to stay on ourlaps in the eve while watching Tv maybe cuddling him, but he's alwaystoo busy to try to find a way to skip and go running about!!Does neutering mean that he'd be more quiet? Do rabbits goquieter when adult or is it worse!!! I'm sorry for asking somany questions, but it's been quite a long time since i've visited thisforum so i have accumulated a bit of questions!!!!

Thanks a lot for your advice and help!!!!!

Anna:p

hello ive got a nerthland dwaf called Buttonsand hes getting like that too he used to be a gr8 lil bunnie which yacould cuddle for ages and stay on your lap as well! anyways, rabbitscan be neutered at 6 months but they can get neutered as ealry as 4months if the vet says yes because of it depends on how mature therabbit is!! Im not sure about the training parts but im sure theresalways people to help you!! good luck and keep us updated on howeverything goes!!:D:D

I have two Netherland Dwarf bucks who are about5 months old and neutered. Even though they're littermatesand folks can't tell them apart - they have totally differentpersonalities. Tyo will lay in my arms for a long timeand I can keep him in my lap for almost a whole movie andhe'll go to sleep and cuddle. Kyo will stay in my arms for2-3 minutes before he wants to get down and explore and run andplay. When I go to get them out of their cage - Kyo huddlesin the back - Tio comes to the front and tries to come to me.

My point is this....every bunny is different. You'll need toget to know your bunny's personality and then work fromthere. I'm sure others who have older Netherland Dwarfs cantell you more about training - I'm not really focusing on that with mydwarfs. I just enjoy watching them and playing withthem...but I am going to train my other rabbits who to me seem more"trainable"...

Peg

What are you wanting to train him to do? I havea 4.5 month old Netherland Dwarf who was recently spayed. She knows hername (but will not come when called), knows the word "no," is using herlitterbox much better since her spay, and used to come running and jumpback into her cage when I called out "Veggies for bunnies!" This wasboth feeding time and bedtime. She won't do it at the moment becauseshe's upset about being confined to her cage after her spay. Oh, andshe used to let me pick her up until the spay, too. She'll still sitnext to me and beg to be petted but if you try to pick her up, she'sgone. It really hasn't been that long, though so I'm not worried.

All of this came about from just paying attention to her and using thesame word commands. I also thump the floor when I say "no" and if shekeeps repeating what she shouldn't I spray her with water. I keep thatto a minimum.

For things like being picked up, help your bun associate it with goodthings. Healthy treats work for a lot of buns. Mocha didn't go forthat. She started letting me pick her up when she realized how muchmore she gets petted plus verbal praise.

I really think rabbits are about as trainable as cats. That means thatsome will learn from you quickly and eagerly, while others would rathertrain you! You'll be able to figure out which type you rabbit is byjust spending time with him.

Thanks everybody for your help. I'm really greatful to you all. If anyone has anymore suggestions pls send!!

Anna

Hey Anna! Welcome aboard! Icould be wrong, but one of the most important things to do whentraining any animal is to shower them with love andattention. Also gaining trust is the first step to awell-behaved pet. Go slow and be gentle :p

My netherland dwarf used to lay on my lap too,but after she was spayed she never laid on my lap again. I am trying topick her up alot now so that she gets used to me again (I also wentaway on holiday for a week, that did not help). She is starting tobecome more friendly, but Netherland dwarfs are not normally asfriendly as say a Dwarf Lop (from my experience).

Jay

I have a netherland dwarf rabbit (Fluffy) and aAmerican Fuzzy Lop/Jersey Woolie/something to that effecy (Flopsy). Myrabbits will be five in September. Nutering sure quieted my buns down.Questions are good things, they mean that you care ;)

-Ashley & Flopsy

Latest posts

Back