Training tips for a high energy Tan?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Link

Reaction score
I'm having trouble training my 4 - 5 month old Tan bun. His name is Link and he is very high in energy and acts very happy. He is not neutered since I still have not decided of I am going to breed him or not but I know that is a decision I should be making pretty soon. I usually let him out in the atrium in the middle of my house for about four hours in the afternoon. I am raising him to be a show rabbit and was going to show him at a fair in July. I'm worried though that I won't have mastered the skills in time. I bring him to a meeting with other show rabbits once a month and the leader is a rabbit expert who has been helping showing me what to do. I know how to hold Link correctly even though after a while he will start kicking and it is hard to keep my hold on him. He does not like to be flipped over for the portion where I am to check his eyes, nose, feet, all that stuff. I have not yet successfully turned him over on his back since he will just flip back up again immediately. Tips on how to do this anyone? I also have a 2x5 ft roll of carpet that I set a cage around and urge him to run on. Because he is a junior I don't work with him too long but I really do need to get him ready for showing. This is my first rabbit and I'm really nervous. Please help, advice, tips or hints, anything would be great!

Do you have a good hold of his head when you turn him over? That helps you keep him under control. We have Tans and while it is challenging with them, it can be done. Woahlookitsme will hopefully weigh in with more advice. Tans like to run and show best when they do.

Tans are Probably not the easiest to work with during showmanship unless it's an old buck. Juniors are the most feisty. Covering the eyes is probably a good thing to do. Flipping a tan is hard. They don't enjoy it and sometimes even working with them makes them more frustrated. Heaven forbid you try to look at their teeth.

Holding firmly is going to be the biggest thing you have to do. I've seen some judges when looking at teeth even tuck the Blackfeet under their arm and restrain that way. Definitely always support your tan and don't have his back resting on the table. If you can either support his back end with your hands or rest it in the crook of your arm that's probably going to be your best bet.

And don't forget to wear long sleeves!

For running just set him on it and let him run. Don't poke and prod and don't hit the table behind him. Let him investigate on his own terms and he will gain confidence.

Last edited:
My rabbit group leader got a whole bunch from a judge named Allen.

I know exactly who you're talking about. I know he has good tans just dont know how much he handles them. Has link been improving?

He is much easier to pick up. I havn't tried flipping him over in a while though.

Uh oh... He's learned how to use the cat door.

Latest posts

Back