training issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrampNPigeon

Reaction score

Hello again guys... sorry it's been a while but we've been runningaround here lately like chickens with our heads cut off trying to getthings done before my husband might have to go play in the big kittylitter box overseas! :? Between the 2 bunnies, 4 dogs and being amember of the local dog obediance club and our anniversary and Mother'sday and house remodeling it's been a tad hectic. Anyhow... that's a tadoff topic.

What I really want to know is the best way to help Tramp and Pigeonbecome more social. I can tell they are more comfortable in theirsurroundings here at the house and I try to let them loose in thebasement den (no electric wires there) for at least a couple of hourseach night. The trouble comes when it is time to get them back in theircages! I really don't want to have to pick them up since I know thatstresses them but they make it hard to say the least to "herd" themback to their cages. Lately I have been finding where they are andsetting up barriers so that once I get behind them their only choice isto go where the barriers let them (i.e. their cage). This is stillsomewhat stressing on them though and I was just wondering if there isa better way?? When they are in the cage I can feed them a treat byhand (only one a night I promise... unless my husband has been treatingthem also hehe) but once they are out of the cage they really don'twant anything at all to do with me. What can I do to help them feelmore secure around me??! Help!

Cheryl

Wow picking up a rabbit can be stressing to them??!! Then my lil one must be stressed at least 12 hrs or more of theday lol i let him run free a few hrs a day then pick him up pet himthen plant a kiss right in the middle of his ears :) then place himback in his cage!

If a bunny is picked up in a safe way I do notfeel they are being stressed. We handle ours a lot and hold them andsnuggle to get them used to being handled. Some like it more thanothers. If you start by being on the floor with them and pickthem up for there level love them and let them go and slowly build up.As far as going back to their cages at night my run knowingthat is rot-rot time and they run for a carrot. It was done by justreenforcing to them that when they go back with out a problem they getrewarded.

Hehe.. okay let me rephrase that. Havingto chase down and "catch" my rabbits seems to be stressing tothem. Keep in mind these are stray rabbits that we found andwe don't know how much if any socialization they had before we gotthem. Even trying to pet them is difficult unless I have atreat in one hand to feed them while I pet them. Even thensometimes they will hide to keep us from petting them though they seemto be coming around slowly in that department.

Cheryl

Hi Pigeon&Fumper,

When Tucker was young and I couldn't catch him as well, soIused to put a harness around him to make it easier. I knowBuckJones and his wife sometimes use a net to catch theirs.

If you don't give them any treats or let them out just before lunch orsupper, perhaps getting them corralled by putting their food into thecage will make it easier on you because they'll be hungry and wish toeat.

Picking up a rabbit isn't harmful if it's done properly. Some rabbits,no matter how good you are at scooping them up, won't like being heldno matter what. Spending time with them, feeding them at thesame time each day, and talking to them a lot is the best way I'vefound to earn their trust.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Prayers for a safe return go out to your husband and all troops.

Most times now she'll let me pet her, but if I goto pick her up she runs off, so when I'm petting her I gently keep herhead to the floor (she always puts her head down when people pet her)and that seems to make her feel like she's been caught and can't runaway, so with my one hand on her head I pick her up with my other handthen cuddle her to the cage! lol. If she really doesn't feel like goingin, then I chase her into a corner, put up a barricade and pick her up.She can't run away if she's got no where to go, at that point to sherealizes that she's lost the battle and lets us put her back in hercage. Just some suggestions, everyone has different ways of doing it :)

We had some wild ones come into rescue and wouldrun us when we tried to catch them. My husband would throw a towel onthe heads and we could nab them that way

Happy to report that tonight's play session wentmuch better than last nights! Tramp even let me get close enough to himoutside his cage to feed him a treat! That's a first for him. Of coursethen I had to catch him to put him up so it may be the last but I stillthink he did good. Neither of them was so mad at me that they wouldn'ttake their treat which is also a first. We're getting there... slowlybut surely :D. That just made me SO happy.... it's the best feeling inthe world when an animal that hasn't had the best life starts to trustyou!

Cheryl

Pigeon&Fumper wrote:
:D. That just made me SO happy.... it's the bestfeeling in the world when an animal that hasn't had the best lifestarts to trust you!

Cheryl

That's so excellent, Cheryl. God knows that you'll doanything for them. Thanks for the update. Hope itremains to be a consistent behavior.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back