Training a rabbit the "basics"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSAR

Reaction score
I want to teach Autumn to come to me when her name is called. I have tried by showing her a carrot and then moving it slowly along the floor so she follows it to me.

It isn't working well, she is getting distracted by other things and she has only come once. I have a clicker and would like to clicker train her. I was wondering if her age might have to deal with it, you know how its harder to train dogs when they are older. So does anyone have any tips that may help?

It's actually easier to train older bunnies, because

A. They know how to behave like adult bunnies,

B. They don't get AS distracted as babies/younger bunnies do.

You just need to sit down on the floor with her ina quiet room. Call her name, and when she comes to you click at the same time you give hera treat. If she doesn't come to you, don't get frustrated, just keep calling her name. And each time she comes, give her a bite of carrot/banana/apple, and click. Soon, she will associate her name being called with getting treats.

After she comes when called every single time, eliminate the treats and clicks slowly. Maybe one time she comes you click and treat, but the next you don't, you just praise her with pets or a "Good Come, Autumn!" She will soon come every time you call her no matter what. ;)

Emily

What's her diet? If you feed pellets I'd recommend just feeding hay/veggies and only feeding pellets by hand. Measure out her daily ration then keep it handy in a pot or in your pocket and feed them to her through out the day. Call her and then give her one. Start with just calling her from a foot away, as she gets the idea call from further away. Soon she'll know that when you call you have a pellet for her and come running :)

Rabbits are easily distracted though - there are sooo many smells to investigate, so don't expect her to be quite a good at recall as a dog might be :)

Tam

Latest posts

Back