Traction for a chewer.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfinner1

Reaction score
I'm loving these C&C cages! My bun has a really small cage right now, which I've always felt bad about. He gets let out to roam most of the house for as long as I can watch him every day (he's a major chewer and will wreak havoc if I don't keep an eye on him), but I still wished I could afford to get him a bigger cage. And these things are just perfect! But, I have one question. Xenos is a jumper, but he needs a lot of traction. Carpet on the shelves would be ideal, but he would eat it. He already tries to rip up the carpet in our living room... Is there anything else that will offer a lot of grip, but be safe from his chewing?

I have shelf lines that you put in your cupboards. I cut it in strips that are about 6 inches wide and duct tape them down. My NIC cage has stairs that and 1 grid each. I have pieces or coroplast on them and the shelf liner taped on that. The whole thing is zip tied to the wire. I use liners that have raised bumps, I think I got it from Ikea.

In the rest of the cage I use fleece. I get blankets/throws that are 50X60 inches. My rabbits don't chew them, so I don't have issues with that.

You can try grass mats. They can provide some traction but are safe to eat. Most rabbit online stores have them, but they can be a bit expensive at about $3 each. You could zip tie or use some sting to tie them together so they don't move around too much.

i use the stick on tub mats ..not the suction cup the ones that stick to the tub flush..my chewers dont even look at them ...as long as u make sure there are no corners stickin up they wont mess with em..i also use the tread tape that u use on stairs or slippery surfaces ..its kinda like a light sandpaper but it is hard to sweep around cuz everything clings to it..

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Tile is chew proof and we also use cardboard which is not chew proof but is inexpensive and easily replaced.
i dont know if its just my clumsy bunnies or not but they still slip on the tile and cardboard...i hate seeing them slide around like that,im worried of an injury..Flashie seems to be the clumsiest ..but only if he smells a craisin or me eating vanilla wafer cookies..i have to be sneaky about my cookie indulgence around him ..he smells my breath from across the room and starts goin ballistic,falling off his shelf,,,tripping over and IN his water bowl...shoot sometimes hell just stand in it up to his knees (if he had knees that is):D

Latest posts

Back