Toys?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyatt101

Reaction score
So, my ND Ruby is going through the dreaded hormones stage in rabbits, and she's going crazy! She bites at her cage because she wants to come out, she tries to escape, she digs litter out of her litterbox, etc. so I need ideas of toys and things to put in her cage to keep her occupied. The thing is, she's never LOVED toys, so I'll have to experiment a little. Any good chewing ideas besides cardboard?? How do you all build those cardboard caves? I'm also planning on re doing her NIC cage, so she can have a little more free run of the room, since I just lost my dear bunny Taz.
Any ideas to keep Ruby occupied during the day? She's up all night digging and clawing at her cage, and biting the grids.

I just bought one of the foraging toys (I think that's what they are called, it is with bird toys). I think it is called "Teach & Treat" at Drs Foster & Smith. It hasn't arrived yet so can't give a critique of its play value with my buns. Others have mentioned a "treat ball," can't remember what it is called but would like to find one myself for my buns. Food is always a good motivator. Still new to buns so will be looking for other replies to your post. Hope you find some helpful ideas for Ruby! Once again my condolences on your loss of your sweet Taz.

I like to give my buns small boxes stuffed with hay and an occasioal treat or pellet to keep them busy.
One of the best ones for this are the boxes my tea bags come in, but it also works with tissue boxes or even toilet paper rolls.
Is she getting plenty of time out?

You can also work on training her to give her more mental stimulation.

How do you make those box castles things?? She does get time out of her cage, but she'll be getting more time out soon, once I rebuild the cage. Check out my thread New cage design for more info on that :)

I'd actually really love to train her, but I've never done it before....and don't know what to go about training her to do :p I probably sound like I don't know anything, what with all these threads asking for help!

Training is mostly observing things your bunny (bird) likes to do & then putting a name to it. Like when she stands up on her hind legs, say "Up!" or whatever each time & reward her with a healthy little treat. There is clicker training you might want to look into as well. I never have a clicker handy so mostly use word association & treating. I'm more experienced with bird training but my bunny training is coming along!

Oh, the biggest part of training is consistency & rewarding! Choose a name for the behavior & always use that name to prevent confusion. It is fun for both the trainer & the trainee! My birds & buns seem to really enjoy our training games.

Last edited:
That's awesome! I'd really like to try training with her! Hopefully she'll calm down a little :)

Try going to search and look for "Cardboard Castles". We just save a bunch of boxes and fit them into one large box and cut holes from one to another and then do a second layer. You'll need lots of boxes and patience. I also cut a couple of "windows" on the second story which get enlarged and used as an escape hatch.

I do wish I could buy toys from Binky Bunny, as it's hard to find willow toys here it seems. Trouble is, I don't that with quarantine regulations I'd be able to import anything like that seeing as how it's not treated. Will have to keep looking in pet stores around the place.

You can make dig boxes! All my bunnies love them, get a big plastic box and fill it with compost/soil and your bunny with love it! My bunnies dig in it then roll around in it! They love it, i have also just got another digging box for them and planted herbs in it, all the herbs are now grown (i put mint, coriander, rocket, parsley, basil and dandelions in it) and now it's full of herbs and they love digging the roots right out! :) You can also ask a carpet shops if they have the large cardboard rolls that the carpet comes on, they are huge and my mini lops can fit through them and they love them :)

Latest posts

Back