Toys/Toy parts your rabbit likes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myia09

Reaction score
I thought this would be interesting to share with each other!. I buy toy parts and make my own toys because I find it to be a lot cheaper (It comes out to usually under 1.00pet toy VS the 5.00-7.00) but sometimes its hard to come across variety, and what my rabbits will and will not like.

My rabbits like:

Grass rope! They love it if it is a grass rope ball or as the toys "chain" It is easy for them to grab and toss to play fetch, and a great chew toy.

Loofah! I use loofah pieces on foot toys..I slice about a 1/2 in thick and put in on a rope with small wooden beads. They like to also rub against it (I think it feels good) and again it is easy to grab and toss.

Willow Balls! Unfortunatly, these are expensive and don't last long. My rabbits love to chew through them. If you buy the ones with the nut inside, my rabbits will often chew on the nut itself too.

Rattles! I use wood rattles (I try to stay away from plastic) and they are a big hit

What doesn't work for my rabbits (But may work for yours!):

Parrot Shredders. Huge hit with my hamster and chinchillas, but my rabbits won't touch it.

Fleece/stuffed animals. No go!

Any piece of wood not on a rattle/haning toy/foot toy. If you just lay a stick of apple wood down, tehy won't touch it. LOL.

I never thought of using loofah! I have to try that.

Good ol' shredded paper seems to be Shino's favourite right now. I take a box and fill it with shredded paper and he has a BLAST tunneling through it. He tosses it around, nibbles it, covers himself with it while shaking his ears with happiness. Its cheap and incredibly easy to do!

You know those cat toys, the stick with the feathers on top? He loves those. I'm careful not to allow him to eat the feathers but once I take it out he is fascinated by it. Same goes for long strips of ribbon.

Plushies are a no go for me as well. He has no interest in them. aside from that tough he's pretty easy to please as long as you're down on the floor with him!

shredded paper and cardboard for my rexes. i stuff a cardboard tube with hay and roxy has fun tossing it around. husbun, hartley, supervises:D

My rabbit loves the big plastic tube I bought her. She loves to run through it. She also likes the cardboard tubes.

Myia09 wrote:
Willow Balls! Unfortunatly, these are expensive and don't last long. My rabbits love to chew through them. If you buy the ones with the nut inside, my rabbits will often chew on the nut itself too.

Have you tried Michael's (or another craft superstore) for willow balls? They have them in their floral section for $2.99 each. They are really nice large ones. They also have large willow rings for $.79 each.

Balthazar especially likes willow balls and toilet rolled stuffed full of hay! Thank you for that info about Michael's, Patti- I'm definitely gonna shop there for them in the future. :biggrin:

Balth also has a "security blanket" in the form of a little hand towel that he loves to snuggle and lick.

Chansey wrote:
Balthazar especially likes willow balls and toilet rolled stuffed full of hay! Thank you for that info about Michael's, Patti- I'm definitely gonna shop there for them in the future. :biggrin:

Balth also has a "security blanket" in the form of a little hand towel that he loves to snuggle and lick.

You're welcome! Michael's has excellent prices on untreated willow.

If anyone's buns like willow, then you should go to the Dollar Tree - they have very large or smaller peeled willow wreaths there. I picked up a bunch because they only seem to have them in the spring/summer. My bunnies love them and I know they are safe, as I have been buying them for years!

No worries about pesticides on the willow? I bought grape vine and emailed the company about the pesticides they used but to be safe. The man said they did use pesticides and if it were him he would not risk letting any animal, including the rabbits, have them :/

bunnybunbunb wrote:
No worries about pesticides on the willow? I bought grape vine and emailed the company about the pesticides they used but to be safe. The man said they did use pesticides and if it were him he would not risk letting any animal, including the rabbits, have them :/
I doubt it concerns them since (at craft stores) they are not selling them for pet use. The ones that I have bought at our local Michael's are safe. I've been using them for years.

Like I said....I have been buying the willow wreaths from the Dollar Tree for years and all of my rabbits are still alive! Most of the time my bunnies just like to "shred" them, but my current foster and Molly both like to eat them.

Wow I definatly will go to Michaels now..thats a lot cheaper than the $5.00+ at petstores.

Arwen, I have been wanting to buy my rabbits a plastic run tube! I def will when they get thier own rabbit room!

I haven't found many toys my bunnies DON'T love. Right now they each have:
- Rope balls
- Plastic balls with bells
- Branch/Wicker balls (is this a "willow ball?")
- Plush animals
- Plastic baby rattles
- PVC smell tubes
- Treat dispensing toys
- Nylon rope ring dog toys
- Hanging wooden parrot toys
- Wicker baskets
- Wicker weathes
- Home made hanging toys
- Plus baby rattles

Probably more that I'm forgetting.

As far as toy materials? I use, and they like:
- Chinese Finger Traps
- "Shredders"
- Wooden craft pieces
- Branch/Wicker balls
- Coin rolls
- Shredded paper (to stuff things)
- Fleece
- Bells
- Cholla Wood
- Loofah
- Sissal Rope
- Wooden napkin rings
- Apple/Maple branches
- Popsicle sticks

... Basically if I can find it at the dollar store or craft store and it's rabbit safe, I use it.

BTW, Keep an eye on your dollar store for wicker balls. You need to make sure they haven't been scented, but I found five packs of them for $1 at my local place. I bought all twenty bags in the store!

I think I am going to be doing some shopping later. Basil seems to get bored pretty easily and I haven't got a clue what kind of toys he likes since I have only seen him play with things he's not allowed to have....time to do some experimenting!

Where do you order stuff to make toys? - like the chinese finger traps and other wooden/shredder parts?

I got a massive number of chinese finger traps for very cheap from Oriental Trading Co. I get my wooden craft pieces and cholla wood at stores like Micheal's and AC Moore. I get popsicle sticks, fleece, loofahs, shredded paper, and coin rolls at the dollar store. Apple and maple branches come from outdoors and are cooked for safety, same as pine cones (forgot to add that). I never pass an opportunity to peek into a craft or dollar store for possible pet supplies, and literally have about ten storage drawers just filled with stuff that I thought might be fun for pet toys some day.

I usually order online from chinchilla stores..like qualitymutationchinchillas.com or camphorchins.com

I belong to a Chinchilla fourm, so they have a classified section for sales.

I am going to sneak into a Michaels today...see what they have!

Thanks....I will have to check out Michaels and Oriental Trading Co (I think they are a magazine/online order only type company?). I also think those Chin sites stuff looks pretty cheap, but I bet shipping is going to be the bad part.

Oh...and don't forget everyone can go to World Market and get really long table runners that are made of natural grass mats for only $10 - I think something like 10 12"x12" mats are on it and you just cut the stings off to separate them! I was there like 1.5 months ago and they said they were selling out of them at my store, but its worth a look (I still haven't made it up there...have been meaning to go for weeks now!).

Latest posts

Back