Total rabbit newbie needs advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrot

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm a teenager who is extremely interested in getting a rabbit. I'vedone a bit of research, but have a few questions (actually more than afew;))for you:

1. How much time does a bunny require each day? I am home most of theday because I am homeschooled, but am wondering if the rabbit would beok if we went out for most of the day.

2. How much room does the bunny need. I would only be able to provideabout 2 rooms for the rabbit, but he/she would mostly live in mybedroom.

3. How much excercize/ out of cage time do rabbits need per day?

4. I have a dog. Is it possible to have a dog and a bunny in the samepart of the house? (this is why mybunny might have to liveinonly 2 rooms)

5. What are the best breeds of rabbits and thedifferentcharectaristics of different breeds.Do yourecommend male or female.

6.Do you knowof any rabbit breeders in the NJ area?

7. How can I get involved in showing my rabbit? What does this involve?

8. What are the best things about having a rabbit in your opinion? How about the worst?

:apollo:Thank youso,SO much!

Hey and welcome!:colors:

1) I usually spend 10 minutes per rabbit in the morning, about twohours total per rabbit with petting and out time, and about a half hourper rabbit getting them ready for bed and cleaning cages ect. AlthoughI would like to spend more time with them in the days.. just so busy.

2) A rabbit needs a cage that is comfortable enough for a litter box(you can litter trian rabbits fairly well) food dishes, able to stretchout and run around a bit. Rabbits need anywhere from 1-4 hours of outtime per day to keep them in good healthy body shape. Letting her runaround in your bedroom for a part of the day (with the door closed ofcouse) and supervised might work. I also have a dog and when therabbits are out they are either enclosed in a room, or I put my dogoutside. One room is fine for them to run and jump around, you'll justeither have to supervise and bunny proof the room

3) Like I said it's healthy anywhere between 1-4 hours a day out.Rabbits love to race around the room and do these jump "binky" things.Very fun to watch!

4) Also, I have a dog too and I just doin't let him go anywhere nearthe rabbits as he is a clutz and I dont' trust him with the fragilebunnies. Just if you have her out keep the door shut, or put the dogshut in anther room or outside. (I have heard aobut people bondingrabbit/dsog but I don't know the details..)

5) Breed is only your personal favourite. Although wool breeds likeangora and lionhead need extra grooming. Rabbits do qalmost always needto be fixed to control hormones for the males, and to prevent uterinecancer for the females. Both are great.

6) Nope I don't

7) Someone can help you with that, but you need a pedigree rabbit (I think) and they (I think) cost more.

8) The best thing about having a rabbit is what you get from it. Ahappy binky a bunny kiss having them fall asleep while beingpetwords can't explain how great ownin a rabbit is. The worstpart is probably (for me) the worry if there's soemthing that's changedwith her health and the vacuuming my mom makes medo lol!

Hope this helped and feel free to ask more questions!

Thanks for researching before you get your bunny!

1. It only takes me a few minutes to clean a cage.I sweep the floor, scoop the mess out of the litterbox, wipe the floorwith vinegar if it needs it, add more hay, and clean the waterbowl. And a few minutes to get their veggies and pelletsready, but they get that when they go back in for the day.

2. 2 rooms to play in is enough space.

3. I let my bunnies out to play as much as I can. Iconsider one hour of play time to be the minimum, and there is nomaximum. Even with bunnies that don't like each other,requiring separate play times, mine sometimes get as much as 6 hours ina day. I'd give them more if I could. I work sothere's a big chunk of the day when my rabbits are in theircages. They tend to sleep in the middle of the day anyway.

4. There's a recent thread on this here:BunniesBonding With Dogs
It really depends on your dog. Is he easy to train?Does he get too excited to obey you? I read in a book called"Why Does My Rabbit..." that teaching your dog the "leave" commandmakes things easier. "Leave" means he has to ignore the funtoy or whatever is interesting. Then you use it to make himleave the rabbit alone.

5. Everyone will have a different opinion. I thinkmedium-sized breeds are great for beginners because they tend not to beas hyper as dwarfs and are easier to hold and handle than the largerbreeds. Two of the most common medium-sized breeds are dutchand mini lops. I don't have a gender preference, althoughunneutered males are more likely to spray urine and unspayed femalescan be more aggressive (and have health problems, BTW)

6. Nope. I like to adopt from shelters.

7. 4H or ARBA? 4H rules change between the localclubs, so you'll need to contact them for rules. Some allowshowing "pet" rabbits which can be mixed breeds or non-show qualitypurebreds. I think the rabbit will have to be intact- notspayed/neutered. ARBA you would want an intact pedigreedpurebred rabbit. You can ask more questions in the Rabbitrysection.

8. I love bunny personalities! They're curiouslittle buggers. I love it when the sit next to me and purr asI pet them, or when they climb all over me like I'm a junglegym. Like Spring, the worst is when they have a healthproblem. Or when you have four rabbits in a poop war!

Latest posts

Back