Torn back claw - Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLover13

Reaction score
Hi, yesterday when I was trimming my bunny's claws I noticed that on his back left paw, one of his claws had been turned sideways, the toe itself is red were the nail is (but not bleeding) and his entire toe is swollen three times the size it normally is. But Skittles (the bunny) is still acting like his regular self.

Today when I checked it, it was the same as yesterday but there was n redness around the claw. I put some anti-biotic cream on the toe/claw to hopefully help fit infection. But then at the base of the claw it started bleeding.

Right now I don't really know what else to do, if I can do anything.:?

Any suggestions??

If there's no open sore, I'm not sure the antibiotic cream will do much good. So you might want to go to the vet's tomorrow if it doesn't seem to be getting any better by then.

It looks like right were the claw is, it was bleeding once I put the cream on. I really just don't know what to do.:?:(

Sometimes antibiotic cream can open up a scab that has formed. Put one of these on it: styptic powder, corn starch powder, or flour (listed in order of effectiveness in my experience) to get the bleeding to stop. Then get to a vet. It sounds like the broken nail is infected. Swelling that large due to a broken nail is not usual and he will probably need oral or injected antibiotics.

i know, i want to take him to a vet but my parents want to just wait a couple more days, to see if it'll get better on it's own. Since today it does look better, then yesterday. But I'm going to take him asap.

OK, you can also tell them if it develops into an abscess (a pocket of infected tissue) it will be more expensive and difficult to treat. I understand you can't control what your parents want to do. For the time being, you can try to ice it a bit to make the swelling go down, if he'll tolerate it. Unfortunately, putting antibio cream on it now will probably just make the scab break open. It was a good idea, but it didn't help unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back