Torn and need some advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StukOnU

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum but I am also new to rabbit owning. I love it, never realized how deeply I would love it. Well long story short two rabbits that I rescued ( one from a farm about to be sold for food, another from a neighbor who let it loose because they didn't want it anymore) in any case as a newbie I thought they were the same sex and they weren't because she had a litter Needless to say they are fixed now. However, they are so close to there kids, they sleep together and literally eat together. Well I am torn I know friends of mine that want them but I just can't see separating them. It's not a matter of getting them all fixed because I will save enough money for that. It's just I feel like I am ripping them from there mom and dad and siblings. I know it sounds silly but it seriously makes me sad, should i just let them go while people want them , keep them - or is it to crazy ( I have 6 total now!) and if I give them up should I make people take a pair so they always have a companion, ugh soooo sad and confused , I look at there little faces and I only want the best for them so not sure what to do? Thanks

Jeanine

Do you have the time and space for the entire rabbit family? If you do, and you want to keep them, then keep them. It reads like you want them to stay together because they like it, not because you want them. Any animal will adjust after being seperated from their litter/family but if you don't want the buns to go through that then keep them. However, I'd feel worse if I kept all of them and then realized after they had be together longer that I wanted to rehome some - then it would be harder on the bunny I think. Good luck with whatever you choose

You know..i was in the same position five years ago..my boy Pippi (rip) was supposed to be a girl but in fact he was a boy...anyway two of my girls had unexpected litters...Daisy had three babies..one died at a week old though..and Marshmallow had three babies.

When they were born,i had people telling me i should find homes for them...but i couldn't bring myself todo it..i just couldn't watch them grow up and then have them leave me..i knew they would be staying right here with me.

Well..Charlie..Cassidy..Marley and Chocolate Bunny are now just over five years old...and it has been a joy to watch them grow up from their unexpected birth till now.

But you do what you feel is right by you though...and what you are able to handle
:)

As they get older, their personalities will develop. You will have to separate them all and have them all fixed, and they they can all bond, some may not get along. I guess in the end it depends on how many rabbits you'd be willing to house separately. I'm not sure how it is with rabbits from the same family, so maybe others would have more input on the matter. It's hard though, I understand. We do have our own instincts and bunnies are beautiful to watch. I hope it all works out ^_^

Just a suggestion of another way to look at it... It's probably obvious really, but rather than rehoming them all or keeping them all, you could do some of both. If you have friends that you know would make good rabbit owners, then you could let them pick a rabbit or two from the babies. Or you could decide which ones based on gender and personality you want to keep the most.

I guess the way I see see it is, if they would have a good home somewhere else then that's great and they would adjust. But if you want to and have the capacity for more rabbits then keep some that might otherwise end up in not so good homes.

How old are the babies now? and can we see pictures of the little cuties haha

If you do give up some of them, definitely pairs. Rabbits live in warrens, they really really need companionship. All of them together will be happy. Maybe. But they will also establish a hierarchy. They may live together peacefully as long as everybunny knows their place. But if you have a couple of dominant bunnies, there can be trouble.

In their natural environment, they can just move away and start another warren, but if they're in close quarters, they may not be able to do that and may need to be separated regardless.

So if you have two or more bunnies who are fighting, picking out one of the fighters and pairing him/her with another bunny they get along with and placing them with the friends will be the best bet.

Welcome to RO! :welcome1

sas :bunnydance:

Keep in mind that baby bunnies do like company, so it's not unusual for them to want to be together. However, as they age and get hormonal, they may much prefer to be on their own for a while and you might have to bond them back together (which can be a long and hard process).

Pipp gave some great advice. Clashing personalities can be a big issue, but I think you have the right instinct to keep them with a friend in some way or another.

Latest posts

Back