Tooth root problems (elongated teeth/abscess)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annabelle00

Reaction score
Had my Angora Mirabelle taken to the vets for a hard lump on her jaw.

The vet said it was her back tooth that was overgrown (not sure how many) and that the area was inflammed and possibly infected with an abscess.
That she was gonna need xrays and teeth removal.

Does anyone know what the ongoing treatment is like? Do more end up needing removal later? What are the surgery costs like? What is the after care like?

Not too sure if I can deal with this as I'm just recovering financially from my previous bunny's fracture and I really don't want it to be an ongoing problem as I would not have the money and time for it?

She eats her pellets but not so much hay :s

Do you end up going back to the vets after the surgery? The exotic vet I go to is a way off from where I am.
Anyone from Auckland with experience in this?

My Stella has undergone extensive dental surgeries due to malocclusion which caused an abscess. Doesn't sound like your rabbit's issues are as bad as Stella's were so won't cost as much.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjq2ONxt3Jg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjq2ONxt3Jg[/ame]

Aftercare was not bad. Of course pain meds and antibiotics. We also had to flush the empty tooth sockets everyday which didn't make her happy. And we fed her mush made from pellets. But, she had no trouble recovering.

I understand your financial worries. I hope your vet will allow you to pay the bill over time. The abscess is not going to fix itself and the longer you wait, the worse it will be and the more likely other teeth will be compromised.

Sounds like alot of money for that sort of surgery? Do you use Exotic Vet in Auckland? They are one of the best rabbit vets In Nz- I buy my Oxbow feed off them & get it sent to wellington! Maybe you could ask them if they can work out a payment plan with you? If it is malocclusion then she will just need her teeth trimmed a couple of times a year & there is a rabbit breeder in Auckland called Shiloh rabbits that cuts them for $10. Once she has surgery that should fix the problem & shouldnt need alot of aftercare from the vet. You will need to get her eating more hay as that is vital for their dental health! Maybe add so dried out tree branches or apple tree branches for her to chew on once her teeth are fixed but unfortunatly the best way to keep the back teeth healthy is by eating hay.

So sorry about the problems and the price !! I had a Holland lop with problems similar to Flick's bunny, Stella, in the video. It was not a one time surgery ; he needed on-going treatment for malocclusion and periodontal disease.
I would discuss with your vet what the future might hold for your bunny. If he is going to need on-going care then it may not be realistic for you to maintain him but keep your options open.

If you have the teeth removed and treat with an injectable drug like bicillin ( inexpensive drug) then it might be something that you could do.
My bun could not eat hay or even pellets but ate a gruel made of Critical care and softened pellets for years . He did not need force feeding but ate the apple banana critical care on his own.
I wouldn't give up on it yet!

I had her checked out at the exotic vet and they say its an abscess in the her tooth/jaw bone she will need her tooth removed and the wound flushed constant check ups weekly which will be a thousand in 1-3 months time and every 3 months a check up for the rest of her life including more tooth removals.
I would not be able to provide even $500 at this stage. The SPCA has said they will care for her.
It is really regretful to have both my bunnies leave, my caramel has passed away yesterday...I know I would not be able to handle anymore or fund anything of this size.
:(

I'm so sorry. Rabbits can be very expensive pets; much more than people realize when they first get them. It sounds like you did the best for her.

Latest posts

Back