Tooth regrowth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northerndancer

Reaction score
Hi

Just seeking some advice...

My bunny Flohad her front teeth removed 3 months ago. She had done really well putting on weight and flying round with lots of energy, but the other night she had flopped over on her side in a happy bunny way but her mouth was open. I thought she had two little teeth like wee pins growing from the top where her incisors should be.

I was so dissappointed as the vet thought he'd got all the root and everything the first time. Hope she doesnt have to have another operation.....

Has anyone else had this happen?? I'd be grateful for any advice or shared experiences.

Greetings Northerndancer,

I've not had the experience myself, but a friend of mine did.After about of a month of the surgery being done, the rest of the roothad grown in and a second removal may be needed to bedone. The incisors roots are very long and it'shard to tell for the vet to see if he got the whole tooth becausethey're usually twice as long as the visual part of thetooth. A vet had told me once that many rabbitsgoback to eating solid foods within 8 hours of the surgery. Youmay have to get some pain medication, but it's a good sign that so manycome out of these surgeries well.

It helps to give the rabbit extra fiber so that the teeth can properlywear down. (hay, oats, pellet-diet) Asyou know, maloccluded teeth can create a lot of pressure and causetooth roots to become impacted and inflammed. The sharp edgesare painful and can cut the tongue or inside cheek, which would putyour rabbit at risk of an abscess if not carefullymonitored.

My friend had been advised to be sure to keep the backside of yourrabbit clean while it doesn't have teeth as they use their front teethfor grooming themselves.
Rabbits can do okay with teeth problems, but generally when onedevelops, regular tooth trims and as noted, increased fiber can helpkeep them comfortable.

Keep us posted on how Flo does, and good job noticing theteeth. If you haven't read through the link that Pamnock'sson wrote about teeth, it's in the Cheat Sheet post.It's very well written and informative. You might want tocheck it out.

-Carolyn

Here'sa good shot of their incisors.

sca6.jpg

Another picture of showing a good set of teeth vs. a bad set.

badteeth.gif

I like this diagram of the skull.

skulldent.gif

Did the vet remove both sets of incisors.

Is it possible that only the primarys were removed and what is left are the secondaries?

Your description sounds like the "peg"incisors. They are much smaller and you can learn to easilysnip them off yourself.

Pam

Firstly thank you all for your responses.

When I saw the drawing of the rabbit skull above i did wonder if I wasseeing the "secondary incisors". they are difficult to see unless shevoluntarily opens her mouth but We'll be able to get a good looktomorrow at the vets.

I think she just had the front incisors removed...he gave me the teethaway at the time and there were 4 incisors and some molars.

I'll let you know how she gets on, and thanks again.

This is a better picture ofthe peg teeth.

tooth_pic_1.gif

Please do keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Just an update on Floras teeth.

The vet said they were just peg teeth which he snipped away and saidthey were nothing to worry about. He said they were vestigal remmnantslike the dew claw in dogs, so you learn something new every day!

So Flo doesnt need another op thank goodness. Once again I have recieved good advice on this forum.

Kind regards to you all and your bunnies,

Northern dancer and Flora.

YAY!

Thanks for the update!! So glad everything's fine now. Good on you for noticing it and acting on it right away.

:dude:

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back