Tooth purr or tooth pain?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Bunny Drake

Reaction score
Hello!
When my bun flops, or is sleeping, and sometimes when he is pooping, his teeth chatter. I keep track of signs of sickness, and he runs on all his feet/paws, eats his hay, eats his pellets, eats his veggies, and he drinks his water. He seems fine. I got a little worried because my dog just started barking at him and he was just laying there. Don’t worry now he’s up and running. Is he fine? Am I worrying for no reason? Or is he sick. I plan to take him to the vet around the end of summer since when he got neutered a month or two ago they checked him out.

It's all about context. Flopping + tooth chattering = happy (for sure). A rabbit in pain is often somewhat (or very) lethargic, might be hunched over or sitting a little weird and definitely won't be all flopped out and happy looking. Try rubbing his nose a bit and see if he makes the noise - that will give you a good baseline for what the "purr" version feels like. For what it's worth, I've never known a rabbit to make that noise from pain without showing any other symptoms of illness/discomfort.

Latest posts

Back