Tooth Abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He has been such a good boy and has put up with everything without a peep. I like ready other peoples experiences as I do find that it sometimes gives perspective and support. At vet's this morning and she will be stoppng the penicilin next week to see if it has cleared so only one more visit to the vet this week and then on Sunday I get to inject him. I really hope it doesn't start to grow again so we will have to wait and see. Poor Benji, hope this time it clears it. I do know though that abscesses quite often return so am prepared.

Fingers crossed for your guy. Sounds like he is dealing with it wonderfully though :) Do keep me updated I would love to know how your guy gets on! Heres a picture of my guy chilling out yesterday. His fur isn't growing properly on his cheek and hes rockin that look lol :D

benjipretty.jpg

Such a cute little guy, hope he does really well. He looks chilled out here. I will keep you posted, next visit to vet on Thursday :)

my dwarf hotot buck had a very large abscess right on top of his head. i thought spending tons of money to have it lanced and cleaned at the vet was kind of silly when i had all of the stuff to do it right in my room. so i shaved his head nice and clean (with a vet grade blade) gave him some pain meds and lanced it. he did very well, but i made me gag, it was gross. i cleaned it and opened it up. and in no time he was all better :)

the pics are of him when it was not yet ready to lance.

045.JPG

046.JPG

my dwarf hotot buck had a very large abscess right on top of his head. i thought spending tons of money to have it lanced and cleaned at the vet was kind of silly when i had all of the stuff to do it right in my room. so i shaved his head nice and clean (with a vet grade blade) gave him some pain meds and lanced it. he did very well, but i made me gag, it was gross. i cleaned it and opened it up. and in no time he was all better :)

the pics are of him when it was not yet ready to lance.

045.JPG

046.JPG

Well I am glad your little fella came through alright :) Though I don't think advising others to do the same would be a good idea! Like for my guy it was a tooth root abscess, so to drain that would be right down to his jaw bone. I guess the true cause of the abscess is what you should assess it on and I can't say I minded spending the money! Plus x rays and blood work are always useful to your bun. He certainly is a handsome chap tho :D

Just thought I´d let you know that we were at the vets for what I thought would be our last visit and on examining the jaw, it looks like there is another really small lump on the right side just under the jaw. We were both totally gutted so we will see at the beginning of next week if it grows any more and what we will be doing. To top that, I think one of them has a UTI so I´ve had to separate them today to see which one it is and to get a sample for testing....it was not a good day for me today :bigtears:

Just thought I´d let you know that we were at the vets for what I thought would be our last visit and on examining the jaw, it looks like there is another really small lump on the right side just under the jaw. We were both totally gutted so we will see at the beginning of next week if it grows any more and what we will be doing. To top that, I think one of them has a UTI so I´ve had to separate them today to see which one it is and to get a sample for testing....it was not a good day for me today :bigtears:

I am so sorry to hear that :( Sounds a bit like us a few months ago hoping his jaw was all better but the vet found more :( Are you giving your bun the bicillin injections every other day? Also how long has he had this abscess for? Sounds like he is a fighter though so fingers crossed for him!

Hope the other bun will get her/his uti fixed. I have never dealt with that myself. Hoping you are all doing better now xxo

He seems fine but we will see tomorrow. Bicilin is every 72 hours. I also discovered he's the one with the dark pee as well although doesn't seem to be affecting him. His treatment for the abscess started on 13th March.

He seems fine but we will see tomorrow. Bicilin is every 72 hours. I also discovered he's the one with the dark pee as well although doesn't seem to be affecting him. His treatment for the abscess started on 13th March.

Is your guy eating lots of veggies? Because if so maybe the dark urine is just because of the vegetable pigments in his urine. At least I hope its that! I have had some worries in the past about my other bunny (Lucy) and her urine but it has always been down to a lot vegetable pigment. I simply stopped feeding her fresh to see if that was the cause!

Also maybe its worth re-upping your guy to the every other day of bicillin? Maybe talk to the vet about it. I know hes had a long treatment already (poor guy and poor you! :( ) but seems as theres still growth he may just need longer. Benji's abscess appeared on the 22nd January and he started bicillin on 10th of feb (have to get a permit to use bicillin here in Denmark). So hes been on bicillin since 10th feb at every other day. Plus he has had 4 surgeries as well! But he has had no reoccurence since the 25th march :)

As always keep me posted! I always like to here how you and your furry family are getting on. Best wishes xxo

Latest posts

Back