Tooth Abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like he is healing really well. You obviously have done a really good job of keeping the puss cleaned out, for it to heal up so quickly. Hopefully with the antibiotics now, it will knock down the tooth infection as well, and keep it under control.

Your sweet bun sounds like a really well behaved patient, but I'm sure he's glad to have the wound cleaning over with :)

The problem with tooth abscesses is they will continue to grow back until the cause of the abscess has been removed! Also the infection can spread into the jawbone which is not good news. Having his tooth removed would be the best option for him (if they can clearly see which tooth is causing it). Unfortunately they cannot find the tooth causing the problems with my bunny but if they had I would have had it removed.

I do believe there has been reports that Bicillin (type of Penicillin mix) can cure bunnies abscess without the tooth being removed, but depending on where you live the permits are hard to come by.

Feel free to message me if you like! I hope your bunny will get better soon.

I will post some pictures of my guy so you can see the progress so far! xxo

Aww my bunnys is more under his chin so maybe yours is a top tooth and mine is a bottom tooth. ( just guessing) my local vet couldn't tell what tooth it was but he said he's never really delt with an abscessed tooth maybe because we are not a very big city. So I'm taking him to a vet Tomorrow that does it quite often. He said an X-ray could tell. Did they try and xray yours? His wound where the lump had popped is looking very good! But yes I think you are right about his tooth getting removed being the best thing bc I do not want the lump to come back. Here is a picture of mine. They had to shave some of his hair ! ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1392117276.000955.jpg

Poor guy! Whats his name?

Yeah my boy had x rays done. But he is a bit difficult because his teeth actually stopped growing a long time ago, so he has been unable to eat normal food/hay/greens since then (he has pellets softened by water with added vitamins). So when they took his x ray his jaw was unreadable....they took several but they couldn't make any sense of the xrays. This is why we are unable to remove the cause of his problems. We are going to have x rays done again in a month or so.

But I am assuming your guys teeth aren't in that bad of a shape! So yes an x ray should be able to tell your vet exactly whats causing the abscess. Its great you are going to see a more experienced rabbit vet because the abscesses are a very stubborn, persistent problem and you will need someone experienced in treating them.

Thanks for sharing the picture with us :) He is a handsome guy! Let us know how you get on with the new vet xxo

As for Benji....

He was not happy after his vet visit on friday. The vet noticed a lump near his tear duct and was concerned the abscess had spread in a different direction. Under closer inspection she found that to be the case, so he has been re-opened and now has two holes in his cheek :(

But he is handling it all very well. He dreads his 2xdaily cleans but other than that he is soldiering on!

We have the bicillin injections and my husband gave him his first injection today. Seemed to be no issues with that!

I hope everything will be on the up from here xxo:anotherbun

Poor guy. At least the vet caught it. Hopefully the bicillin will start to help get this infection under control and prevent any more of it spreading.

Poor guy. At least the vet caught it. Hopefully the bicillin will start to help get this infection under control and prevent any more of it spreading.

Well so far so good. I realise the bicillin treatment is a long one, but a month in and there is no signs of regrowth. The vet was very very excited about his progress two weeks ago, and he is due in to see the vet this friday. She is very excited about getting his x rays done again too. She wants to see if theres been any improvement as they couldn't make out his jaw/teeth very well on the xrays they got originally!

Also another bunny at the same vet is receiving treatment with the bicillin now for an ear abscess. I do hope it works as it is for an abscess which they cannot operate on (too close to the brain). Fingers crossed!

You can see my boy below having a little run outside :)

2014-02-27 14.12.43.jpg

My bunny Jessamine had her abscess under her ear (She's a lop) removed and I'm not entirely sure how to scrape the puss that seems to be coming back out, she's extremely aggressive too and barely sits to take her antibiotics (Entoril) I wonder if anyone has some suggestions?

I'm not sure how to help you with this one. Jennifer or Jbun might have some really good suggestions..

Good luck and I hope she gets better.. I have a holland lop and I wouldn't be able to do anything like that with her either

Vanessa

I managed to clean it a bit.

I do hope your bun recovers from this, it's a worrying thing abscesses. They're stressing for both owner and bun.

I do hope your bun recovers from this, it's a worrying thing abscesses. They're stressing for both owner and bun.

Have you had any more success cleaning out the abscess? It must be very hard cleaning out the wound if your bun is aggressive :(

Make sure the vet shows you exactly how to clean the wound out would be my best advice! One of the hardest things for me was not knowing what to scrape out and what to leave, but once I knew exactly where the cavity went it was much easier. I used a small blunt metal object to gently gather out any pus, but every wound is different I guess. I also flushed with antibacterial solution.

Is the wound able to be packed with antibiotic beads? I have read this is suggested especially when a rabbit is aggressive and will not tolerate the cleaning. Maybe this would be best for your bun if the wound will allow it.
Hope your bun will recover soon xxo

I have posted something about the beads on the Poland Rabbit Rescue board. There are a couple of options... one is to use Medical Grade Manuka Honey. Before anyone jumps up about this. I personally spoke with Doctor Gary Schwartz of Wheaton, Maryland. You can find a post with his treatment of a Lop with Abscesses here at this link:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/4-4/pandora.html

All of this info is what the doctor discussed with me personally this past Tuesday, March 4, 2014..

If one doesn't want to use the honey which he stated would be nonevastive, one could pack the areas with sterile guaze that has been saturated with antibiotics and changed very other day if necessary.

Third option is the beads which are made with human grade cement which needs to be inpregnanted with antibiotics.

You can find more info on the blog on RO for the Rabbit Recuse in Poland. I think I posted his full info there!

Vanessa

You should try a spray bottle. I bought an empty one at the dollar store and filled it with purified water. He hated it but it helped

I used a cotton pad and cotton tips. I used boiled salt water and then applied betadine the wound has begun closing up again as she scratched it open! She also bit me today whilst I was giving her antibiotics, she couldn't be good for her last day dosage. Silly girl.

I imagine, mines a demon I swear she's horrid bites and snorts so I wouldn't dare do that to her! She'd kill me. D:

Sorry its been ages since I updated this thread - not even sure if anyone is still following!

My boy Benji is doing good. He unfortunately had another abscess come back in the same place (with a vengeance :() so he had another surgery. He had catheters inserted so the vets could fully flush him out afterwards whilst he stayed in hospital for 3 days.

He is so far recovering beautifully and still on his bicillin. He is actually happier now than I have seen him in a long time :D Rabbits are so tough!

Just thought I should update to let you know how Benjamino is doing :)

Louladoll xxo

I just chanced upon this thread and read with much interest. Just wanted to thank you for taking time to post and post updates on treatment. Seems like reading posts like yours is the best way to figure out what treatments work and what doesn't. Sending good vibes to benji ((:)))))

I just came across this as well.it is so interesting to read about other people's experiences now I have gone through it with Bandy. Bicilin does seem to work really well but the important thing is to ensure that no new pus is being produced before treatment is finished. Hooefully that will happen soon.

Great to hear Benji is improving, hope his abscess clears.

I just came across this as well.it is so interesting to read about other people's experiences now I have gone through it with Bandy. Bicilin does seem to work really well but the important thing is to ensure that no new pus is being produced before treatment is finished. Hooefully that will happen soon.

Great to hear Benji is improving, hope his abscess clears.

Im sorry you've had to go through this with your bun! Its a worrysome time. Always knowing it 'could' come back puts me a bit on edge sometimes! How is your bunbun doing?

My boy had 4 surgeries with the last one being the most successful as they had to go right down to his bone. Also we were given some anitbiotic in cream form which we administered at home by putting the plastic tube into his hole and you could see it fill up (a bit weird lol!). That with the full draining via catheter at the vets seemed to work best for us :) And ofc continuing the bicillin at every other day.

I do hope your bun will recover as well as benji has :) He is so playful and himself again :D

Good luck! xxo

I was really lucky as Bandy has been relatively OK since the beginning. He has never completely lost his appetite, he stop eating pellets for a while but was free eating green and veggies so has never lost that much weight. He has been really well throughout binkying and popcorning as usual. Onlybdownside was I had to.separate him from my other two for around 6 weeks and they really missed each other. Luckily we didn't have to operate, she just made a small incision to drai the pus and we were then packing with honey with bicilin injections after the second week every 72 hours. Here is the photo before and after.

1399208225771.jpg

1399208258094.jpg

1399208309462.jpg

I was really lucky as Bandy has been relatively OK since the beginning. He has never completely lost his appetite, he stop eating pellets for a while but was free eating green and veggies so has never lost that much weight. He has been really well throughout binkying and popcorning as usual. Onlybdownside was I had to.separate him from my other two for around 6 weeks and they really missed each other. Luckily we didn't have to operate, she just made a small incision to drai the pus and we were then packing with honey with bicilin injections after the second week every 72 hours. Here is the photo before and after.

Aww bless him! He is gorgeous :) He looks so well now! Well he didn't look unwell in the first picture, but its lovely to see your bun abscess free again :) It's good that he didn't stop eating. I think that is the worst thing. Fortunately my boy never stopped eating throughout he always loves his food!

Thanks for sharing the pictures :) I'll have to pop one up of benji now! His fur isn't going to grow back fully on his cheek so he has a little island of fur missing lol.

Thanks so much for sharing and heres hoping that you and Bandy never have to go through this again xxo

He has been such a good boy and has put up with everything without a peep. I like ready other peoples experiences as I do find that it sometimes gives perspective and support. At vet's this morning and she will be stoppng the penicilin next week to see if it has cleared so only one more visit to the vet this week and then on Sunday I get to inject him. I really hope it doesn't start to grow again so we will have to wait and see. Poor Benji, hope this time it clears it. I do know though that abscesses quite often return so am prepared.

Latest posts

Back