Took the rabbits to the rescue today.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lymie

Reaction score
I took Beazel and Alfie to the no kill shelter today. They didn't ask me anything about them as individuals, just sign the paper and leave. That was worse then being accused.

I get my tax return the day after tomorrow. I'll take them some food, toys and a cat bed. I didn't know I would feel this awful. And then, when I got home I found a large puddle of blood. My grandmas 13 year old German Shepard might have to be put down tomorrow.

What a fabulous day.

:hug:

sometimes life gets rough, but remember that you did the right thing. our main goal as pet owners should be to provide the best care for the animals, even if it isn't with us anymore.

and i know it is hard, i once gave my 2 rabbits at the time to a rescue (they came back a month later cause they were having to many problems).

if you need to talk about anything, or just need a hug, my pm box is always open day or night.

You did the right thing. :hug:

I'm so sorry about your German Shepard, I hope it's not something that requires euthanasia.

Giving up a pet is one of the hardest things to do. Just keep reminding yourself that they will be in good hands and find a nice, loving home. You did the right thing! And if you have regrets you know where they are. It's not like they have to be gone from your life forever just because you couldn't take care of them. You could start volunteering at the shelter every once in a while.

If you have any nice pictures of them, you might want to send them to the Director of Adoptions at the shelter.

A good picture on the website can help attract potential adopters.

Also, a nicely written bio can generate interest. If you can indicate that your bunnies got along well with children, were used to cats or dogs, had free run and didn't dig or chew on furniture, were litter box trained, or any positive details- it can help them be adopted.

Even a writeup of funny or endearing habits can help them stand out to potential adopters.

I volunteer at a shelter and take photos of the bunnies and help do their bios for the website.

Bunnies that give kisses are usually adopted very quickly, as are those who don't mind being held.

We had one lovebug who would fall asleep in your lap. We included that detail in her website writeup and her adopter saw it and came in asking for her.

The bunny was a large REW and might have been overlooked without that one detail.

:hug:
I agree... any information you can give about the boys really ups their adoptability.
Thanks for putting your buns first...takes a strong person to do that :hug:

Sorry the shelter staff wasn't more sympathetic to you; the individual might have been having their own bad day. Really glad you did this unselfish act - you should feel good about that.

And yes get a story and picture up on PetFinders (my shelter lists each bun on this site and it helps). The backstory really helps as well (just the buns, not yours).

Sorry to hear of the German Shepherd - that is a bad day, but then again it may just be all dumped on you as you are the only one that could handle such a day.

Feel free to PM me if you need warm internet hugs - pulling for you! :hug:

A lot of shelters are divided into two parts- Animal Control ( which is in charge of relinquishment) and Adoptions.

So when you relinquish an animal, you will be dealing with the Animal Control side. Some are equipped with forms that allow previous owners to pass along information about their pets, others are not.

Most shelters' websites will have a directory of contacts. If you can contact either the Director of Adoptions or the Director of Volunteers, they can pass on any pix or information you can give about your bunnies.

Latest posts

Back