Too young?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnbunn

Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking of adopting one of these little bunnies. They look pretty young. Their age isn't posted and I haven't asked either. Do they look too young to leave mom? They're Lionhead lops. Here's a photo. Thank You

image.jpg

They look to be approximately 2 weeks old. Definitely too young to be weaned, and certainly too young to be sold too. Rabbits should be at least 8 weeks old before they leave home, preferably older.

Wow.. They're really trying to sell them. Even reduced the adoption fee. Thought they looked awful small. Glad I asked on here.

Now I feel bad. Guess they know nothing about breeding if they sell them this young. I hate to think of someone adopting one two or all 3 not knowing any better. I know nothing about caring for bunnies that young. Who knows what they're eating or they might be still nursing. I don't know how my hubby would feel about it.

Bunnbunn, unless you are highly experienced at hand raising kits or have a doe that can feed them I suggest not doing it. I hand raised a 7 day old kit that is now 8 weeks old. It is a huge commitment emotionally and financially, my vet bills have been in excess of $500 over the past 6 weeks and my bun continues to have GI issues as a result of an early weaning. I wonder if they are trying to rehome the doe too? If that is the case I would take the whole group and place them when they are the appropriate age. Where are they located? Perhaps there is a rabbit raiser/ rehabilitater you could reach out to and they could intervene.

Edited to add: you stated that the age isn't posted, perhaps they are of weaning age and that is just an old photo. Two week or bunnies are ridiculously cute. If you are interested in one of them, I suggest reaching out to them then diplomatically suggest that they not sell the for 8 weeks if they are younger.

Last edited:
I just wrote them and asked age and if that's an old pic. No I don't think I'd take them if that's their current age. Thanks for the advice. We'll see if they answer.

I have a litter of Polish who are 3 weeks old and 6 weeks old right now. I'd say they're somewhere in between...more like 4 weeks. You can wean kits at 4 weeks but I don't think it's a good idea to do it this young OR take them away from mom this young, except out of necessity.

stateside the rules are 8 weeks of age to sell.

BUT that said....there are people who ignore that law.

They might be posting at the young really cute stage....but frankly I'd rather see them at their current age. Find out how old they are and then go on from there. As pictured...these kits are too young. Somewhere between 12-21 days old.

Ok so they're 5 weeks. Thats an old pic. Says eating and drinking out of a water bottle.

Last edited:
5 weeks is still to young, in my opinion, and in many places its illegal to sell them if they're under 8 weeks.

Did they already re-breed the doe? Curious what the hurry is to get them sold. I have been told they can technically wean at 28 days. If left to their own devices a doe would be getting ready to kindle another litter. If they are already separated from the doe, they might do okay. Personally with the experience I have had I might look for an older bun but even then there are no guarantees.

I don't know if they already re-bred her. A 2nd ad they posted said last litter went fast. Maybe they're finding homes as fast as before. If it was close to easter of course they'd go fast. Just not sure about adopting one. He said he did it before and they were fine but he could be telling me what want to hear. I'd love to have a Lionlop but at what cost.

five week old kits can move to new homes. NOTE: get a week's worth of the feed they are currently on.

And they should do just fine for you.

even at five weeks. Just be smart and don't be messing with their diets a whole lot.

Latest posts

Back