Too young for veggies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sja0711

Reaction score
I just got a baby bunny...she is about 3 months old and she is a Mini rex. I have been doing a lot of research (before getting her and still) about her diet, etc. Everything I have read says that you should not feed rabbits under 6 months any fresh veggies, fruits, etc. Is that acurate or should I slowly try out various veggies to see what she likes? Anything helps! Im a new bunny owner and am eager to learn and care for my baby Abbey :)

Thanks for everyone's reply in advance :)

youre going to get a bunch of replies that say wait, and replies that say go for it.
I gave my guys veggies before they were 3 months, and I didnt do it slowly, they were perfectly Okay, heck they were overjoyed!
IMO just go for it, introduce them slowly, find out what she likes and keep her favourites for treats. Keep an eye out for upset tummys and bad poops.

The breeders I got Ripley and Charlie from both suggested waiting until at least 4 months to give veggies and fruit.

I started feeding my rabbit veggies at 3-3 1/2 months.There are lots of differing information on recommendations for the diet of pet rabbits. You just have to be careful and reasonable about what you choose for your rabbit. For a while, I took away his veggies because he had too much excess cecals and mushy poo - but I REALIZED it wasn't the vegges. It was actually the pellets. Veggies cause no upset with him. BUT REMEMBER to feed one particular type of veggie one at a time. For example, feed him a few pieces of cilantro and monitor his poop to see if he can handle it. If his poo is normal and not soft, then you can likely go on to another veggie introduction the next day. My rabbit eats veggies regularly, about a 1/2 cup per day and just turned 4 months about 6 days ago.

I let my rabbits eat fresh stuff, even while they're still nursing (Momma gets some, too--most of it, probably). The main concern is that they won't eat the food that they need to grow (ie protein and calcium from pellets), or that the fresh vegs will upset their stomachs. Just watch for runny stools or not behaving right (lethargic, or bunched up in a corner like you might expect of someone with a tummy ache).

I figure feral babies get along just fine eating grass and fallen fruit, so there's no reason my rabbits can't have it too since they're monitored.

We started the ones we knew the ages of at 4 months with no problems. Some we had to limit the amount as their poo was runny, but was fine with a smaller amount than the weight/size guidelines called for.

Latest posts

Back