Too Young for Treats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briemommy

Reaction score
Hi all! Brie and I are doing very well. She's letting me groom her and everything. I've been giving her more pellets so its become a pretty low value treat. I know buns under 4 months can't have greens, but what about the dried bananas, strawberries, cranberries, and bananas? She's responding very well to everything we're doing, but it's time to up the ante and I need very yummy things to do it! Thoughts?

HRS recommends giving veggies at 12 weeks. So if you go with that, then you could start giving them now. Besides, giving veggies would be a lot better than a bunch of fruit. Sugars and fruit can cause digestive problems and should be used very sparingly if at all. When introducing veggies start with one at a time and a small piece each day for a few days, checking to make sure your rabbits poops stay normal.

Here's a few websites with recommended veggies and how to introduce them.

http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html
http://www.3bunnies.org/feeding.htm#greens

Young rabbits are more sensitive to diet changes, so anything new should be in small amounts and only one new thing at a time. Veggies can be given, but only in small amounts. Other treats can be given as well, but even smaller amounts that what would be recommended for an adult. If you are switching pellets, then try to avoid new foods until you know your rabbit is doing well on the new pellets.

Veggies would be better than dried fruit. The fruit is already high in sugar, and drying it concentrates that sugar.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Young rabbits are more sensitive to diet changes, so anything new should be in small amounts and only one new thing at a time. Veggies can be given, but only in small amounts. Other treats can be given as well, but even smaller amounts that what would be recommended for an adult. If you are switching pellets, then try to avoid new foods until you know your rabbit is doing well on the new pellets.

Veggies would be better than dried fruit. The fruit is already high in sugar, and drying it concentrates that sugar.

:yeahthat: Great Post! Greens can be introduced at a young age - but it is very important to introduce new foods in tiny amounts.

Latest posts

Back