Too sick

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delusional

Reaction score
My boyfriend's friend just told him that he and his girlfriend are not getting their rabbit neutered because they are going to get a female rabbit to breed it with. When I said, 'Well, hang on, do you know the first thing about breeding rabbits responsibly, what about vets bills etc?', his friend responded with, 'whatever, it's not my money' - I'm assuming this means it's his girlfriends idea.

Then he proceeded to say, 'it's just like you with gerbils, except there's more money in it. Selling them to butchers etc. And for pets, and then there's clothes and hats and stuff, and lucky charms - people like rabbits'

I can't believe someone who would have a pet rabbit would actually do something like this. I can't believe how sick these people are!

I seriously want to mount a rescue mission, and go round to their house and steal their rabbit, and any subsequent rabbits, until they get the message taht there will BE no baby rabbits produced in their home.

Soooooooooooooooooo angry....

:( It makes me sad to think about things like that.

Try to remember that it will be a while in the future before they are in a position to breed, so maybe try and weedle away at them chipping a bit away here and there about why its not a good idea, i.e. people don't pay enough for rabbits for it to be a money maker (I know that's not the best reason to not breed, but that seems to be what they are focused on).

Also maybe try and suggest they come here because there are a lot of breeders here thatwould be able to give them sound advice.

Ok, here are a few things to tell them, mabye it will change their minds, or at the very least make them think.
1. Meat producers don't buy just any rabbit to butcher, they have to be certain "meat" breeds, and they have to be a certan weight, etc. I'm not sure about this one, but they might have to have health checks on the rabbits also, which is expensive.

2. They will need to do some research on how much it will cost to feed a pregnant rabbit and then all her babies, and compare it with how much they will actually be able to sell the kits for. And they won't get any $20 like the petstores do, people buy from private breeders like this to get cheaper prices.

3. What if the doe has problems delivering? Are they going to spend the possibly hundreds of dollars taking her to the vet, or just let her die? Either way, they are out money, as they would have to replace the doe.

4. What will they do if/when they have babies left over that don't sell? Because it will happen, it always does, even if not with the first litter. Plus you usually have to pay a fee to surrender an animal at a shelter, if they think they can just do that.

I hope that helps. People that try stuff like this just don't have a clue how impossible it is to raise any kind of animal and make money doing it. Assuming you aren't running a huge mill type operation, that is. Sorry if any of this sounded harsh, I was going for hard reality.

Are you sure he wasn't taking the p*** a bit i can't see them selling bunnies for that unless they are really callous. I have seen a doe die after labour it was horrid but happened really quick it took me ages to want to sit in again when one of my does went, ( i have a doe we have to watch cause she literally has babies then makes nest) we have to keep them warm till she is finished. I can't imagine them being able to sell rabbits fett and stuf think it is illegal now over here anyway.

Tell them to get a life.

You should steal them. Or you could try to buy them. i don't get it ethier, how can you breed buns as pets, then sell them to the butchers?!?! That's really sick:grumpy:

-TK

I agree with with Polly, I think they are talking out of their backside.

They might maybe make one litter, then when they realise they can't make any money from selling them they will ditch the idea. They will also realise they won't be able to sell them for meat/fur or make lucky rabbit charms out of them.

I can understand why you are angry and upset with these idiots, I would feel the same! All you can do is keep on at them and try and make them listen to how wrong their stupid ideas are.

I thought it was just a bad joke when I first heard it, but the more the conversation went on the more I realised that they really weren't joking.

I said all the stuff about not being able to sell to butchers or anything, because they'd have to have space to look after the rabbits until they were big enough to sell - like six months at least right?

And as I mentioned I said about the vets bills.

All they seemed concerned with was profits and making a bit of money on the side.

I'm hoping they talk themselves out of it, or just get bored with the idea. They live with the girl's mother, who is on incapacity benefits, and they're both on jobseekers themselves I think.. Or one of them is and the other's in college or something.

I know that if they did get into it then they'd quickly learn that it wasn't going to work, but I don't even want them to get that far.

Put them on here and tell them to put what they want to do with the rabbits in the rabbitry and watch the breeders rip them to shreds. ( I AM TRYING REALLY HARD NOT TO SWEAR VERY BADLY)

Perhaps they should concentrate on getting proper jobs instead of making stupid get rich quick schemes that wouldn't work any way.

I am sorry if that sounds harsh and they are your friends but they seriously need to get a life:nonono:

Making money from rabbits thats very funny.You probably need a liscense too sell meat rabbits.im 1200 dollars in the hole from last year.many of the small breeds that are popular today have trouble having babies.4 does i bred had dead litters.2 refused too feed the babies, handfeeding is nearly impossible.one of my does will only breed with 1 buck i guess shes picky.the rabbits still have too eat, then you are waiting for them too be old enough too sell.2 does refused too use nest boxes and unless you find them in minutes they die from exposure.im not doing this because its profitable.bluebird

I would explain to these people that rabbits are not a money making venture, at all. Any breeder can tell you that. Even high quality show rabbits that are soldfor higher amounts do not barely make up the amount of money you spend to produce them.

I raise a meat breed (New Zealands)for show purposes. While I do not sell them to meat producers, I get inquiries daily from meat producers about stock. Meat producers will only buy rabbits in the $5 area. High rollers might go for $10. Honestly.My show stock ranges from $40-150. All of mine sell easily and fast (only to pet owners and show breeders) and I can tell you I do not make anything off of them.

The cost of proper feed, daily hay, equipment, and foundation stock itself will far exceed the amont they make and my guess is they will figure that out soon and give up. Hopefully you can save them time and money and explain this to them.

Latest posts

Back