Too Late to Spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katmais_mommy

Reaction score
My female Lionhead mix, Kodiak, is turning 2 in March. Is it too late to spay her? And if it isnt too late, I'm also VERY nervous about the operation. Ive heard that they like to take out their stitches or pick at the incision and such. If something should happen to her post-op, I might not have enough money to bring her back to the vet. Im hoping my birthday money (March) will cover the cost of her spay. If Im able to spay her, it would save me a great deal of money and I'd be able to put her back with her little brother (from another litter, same parents).

I'm not sure about her age, if it's safe to do the operation. The savy vet will be able to reassure you this.
For taking out their stitches, it doesn't happen with every buns, I think. My girl didn't try to bite off her stitches. She did lick it, but not so often. As long as after the operation the bun get pain med, I think they will feel more comfortable and won't try to bite them off. Another way to prevent them doing so is wearing a cone which I'd like to keep this for last choice.
I hope this helps :) Good luck !

Her age isn't a problem. If you have any concerns, talk to your vet about doing a blood test for liver and kidney function before the surgery. Some vets recommend doing that for all animals anyway. The shelter I volunteer at routinely spays rabbits that are 5 years old or older.

I would save up a little extra money. You never know when you will have an emergency. Remember that even after she heals from the spay, you will need to rebond her with her brother. They will need to work out who is dominant.

Becky was spayed last week and she is 2. You may want to check with your vet, but mine used internal stitches and then surgical glue on the outside. This prevents them from pulling at anything. Depending on the hospital policy after care may be covered. We had to take Becky back the next day because she wasn't eating. She got fluids there and critical care and simithicone to take home. The only charge was for the food and meds. It's a nerve wracking few days, but it's much better than worrying about cancer for years. Good luck.

Thank you everyone so much! It's a comfort to hear that older females have been spayed (Kodiak's a fairly healthy bun with no health issues). Although, I am not looking forward to the rebonding, as Kody was the dominant bun, and also the larger of the two. Thanks again!

I recently had a 5-year old foster spayed. She came through with no problems!

Latest posts

Back