Too fuzzy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littl3red

Ashtin - Member
Reaction score
So, I moved fairly recently, and I have an issue. My room doesn't cool down very well... we have the AC on but it gets pretty hot sometimes. I'm worried about Teddy being so fuzzy and hot, does anyone have any tips to cool her down?

Also, I understand that rabbits' long ears are, in part, used to keep them cool. Out of curiosity, do lop eared rabbits get hotter than their non-floppy counterparts?

Make sure you keep teddy out of the direct sunlight.
Also, you can give her frozen water bottles to cuddle up next to.

Panda has an empty litter box that he uses as a bed, I put a large frozen water bottle in there on particularly hot days. He sleeps beside it and stays nice and cool.

You can also use a fan, just make sure its not blowing constantly on the bunny.

Other than that, just make sure you provide lots of cold water to drink, and there isn`t much else you can do!

Good luck :)

I agree with the ice bottle. Works like a charm. Even if they are not laying right next to it it acts like an air conditioner. I used to keep about 10 of them in my freezer. (that reminds me that I need to make some more).

I'll try the ice bottle, that's a good idea. I've noticed when I let her out a lot of the time she will run over to my vent on the floor and sit right on top of it, it's pretty funny. :biggrin:

2 Liter soda bottles are my goto for freezing. Just squeeze a bit before capping.

Also if you have enough frozen bottles you can use some large plastic bins to make an "air conditioned" space for your bun.

Good luck keeping cool.

Houdini is an English Angora, he was getting too hot even with ac, so I "de-fuzzed" him. Took an hour of plucking.
IMG_6023.jpg

Why did you not just shave him? My friend does that with her fuzzy lops and Jersey Woolys. That is a huge ball of hair that you got from your rabbit. Are you planning on saving the hair? You could stuff a pillow or do a number of other things with it.

Well, I didn't think that much was loose. I just started to pluck and he ended up bald. He was so much cooler and more comfortable. He looks much better and even now. I have it, but I can't find anyone to spin it so I just throw it out to the birds. We have the warmest nests in the neighborhood!

I like the pillow idea though. It would be nice to put the fur to a practical use.

If you have a spinning club near by, you can get them to mix his wool with sheep or alpaca and knit yourself something. I went to the dollar store and got some of those heavier car windshield protectors, come with elastics on them so you can use cuphooks to hang them. They really block the heat and the sun on windows.

Back