Tony making weird noises

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
I think Tony is honking at us, but Lexi is worried. he makes a sound sort of like a cough that is squeaky and he is playing and does it over and over 3 or 4 times.

I had been playing with him and he went to take a break. We all left the room and he was in there alone. All of a sudden I hear this noise "wheonk, Wheonk!" over and over about 6 or 7 times. I walked in the room and he immediately binkied off.

What do you think?

I just read your other post on the game you were playing with him. Sounds like he's all excited/riled up (in a good way) and just honking and carrying on. Nibbles likes to make "grr-honk" sounds deep in her chest when she's really happy and wanting to play, though she doesn't do it as much now that she's fully adult. (Sigh. I miss all her "teen" sounds.)

You and Lexi should check out the bunny sound on this page: http://members.aol.com/bunster2/carla.htm

Maybew she'll worry less if she hears it.

I can't get that link to play right. I really want to hear it.

I think it's him getting wound up too. I think he was having such a good time and wanted to know where "mommy" went and wants to play. He looks for the others but I know they can't play - they'd all try to kill each other!

Thanks for your thoughts too, I'll be sure to have Lexi read this. I feel better knowing I'm not completely off base thinking it's honking LOL!

I think Lexi isn't used to hearing a rabbit like this. He is VERY vocal sometimes. When he growled one time I thought I'd die! It's loud!

The link I posted should take you to a regular web page with a sound file near the bottom, to click on. There should be a photo of a woman holding a bunny at the top.

And yes, some bunnies are very vocal, even after spay/neuter. Nibbles used to "talk" quite a bit, and I know there are others on the board who have (or had) noisy bunnies. :)

We have a Flemish named Oprah, becuase she has an opinion on everything! Just walking by her cage gives you an earful! A judge named her, because she was grunting and snorting at him, even when he wasn't touching her! He told me she should be called Oprah, cause she was telling him her opinion about which rabbit to pick... (obviously HER!) She isn't nasty, doesn't bite or nip, very sweet, she just HAS to make noise! LOL!

Sounds like he's just a very vocal boy!

My foster boy, Nigel, used to buzz when he was excited and running around (before he was neutered). My boyfriend even nicknamed him "Buzz" because when he was out running around he sounded like a little bumblebee :biggrin2:

Are the noises anything like this?

Lucky wasn't feeling well at the time she made these noises, and passed away not long after. She had stasis at the time and passed away from a heart defect, nothing to do with why she was honking (don't want to alarm anyone!), but I was told it is a stressed out noise?

I'm sorry you lost Lucky like that. The video clip is very sweet! Some of my girls do that ALL the time, others do it when I'm checking out their litter or cleaning their cage, and some times just when I'm petting them.. They don't seem to be upset and will even run after my hand and put their heads under my hand for more petting...

Yeah, I'm just going by what everyone here told me, that she sounded really stressed out and needed immediate vet attention :shock:. I'd never heard her make that noise until she was unwell, so it was worrysome.

No, Tony sounds like a child sneezing or something similar. Like when someone starts to sneeze and tries to stop it .... that's why Lexi thinks he's sick and coughing or sneezing. Clover actually makes the same noise on a little bunny level. Hers is a harder forced sound I think..... it takes more for her to do the noise.

I'll try to take a video of it - even if the picture is dark, we can hear it.

Could he have been clearing his nose, or actually sneezing? Nibbles once got some hay in her nose and sneezed about 14 times in a row. I hadn't had her very long at the time, and was a bit shaken up, but once she got her nose cleared she was fine.

she also snorts fairly loudly sometimes - just clearing her nose. (It always takes me by surprise.)

He does it a lot. It's also when he's alone and hunting me. Then Clover does it also. Maybe it is some sort of grunt?

I'll get some video as soon as I can. I'll keep the camera handy!

Oh, and I did get that sound to finally work. It was my quicktime player needing updated.

It sounds similar but it's not a continuous sound but several in a row.

I think that recording of Simon was acutally made from a bunch of different clips - you can hear stops and starts in there, if you listen a few times. (Which I have - I'm such a bunny geek! :D)

Buns really can produce quite a wide variety of sounds, and it does seem as if Tony's healthy and happy, so.... (But I can understand why your daughter would be worried, too.)

Yep, I'll watch him but he's done it off and on. Clover used to scare the heck out of me when she did it. Bo sneezed as a baby I THINK. He might have been honking too LOL!

If Tony shows any signs of illness, I'll take him to the vet. He seems fine tho. ROTTEN but fine.

No, it's more of a WHEEmmmp. Does that make sense? LOL! Not a fweEP like a guinea pig does tho!

You're going to have to record this now, but - to me, at least - it sounds like he's just happy and "talking" to you.

Latest posts

Back