Toenails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbitnut

Reaction score
Hello, I am kind of upset and worried about my rabbit. We left trimming the toenails too long, and now her nails look really funny. Her nails are bending sideways, and I have researched on the internet that it could be a broken toe?

Please Help!

The nails can start to twist if left too long. You should be able to clip them without lasting effects.
If you have not clipped the nails before, it is a good idea to have someone help you or even take your rabbit to a vet or find someone who knows how to do it. You don't want to hurt your rabbit and it can be tricky if the rabbit won't hold still or has dark nails.

Kate is right. I would cut them as short as you think you can now, based on where the quick is. If you continue to cut them close to (but not through) the quick on a regular basis, you will be able to cut them at a normal length. If the toes are broken, you would be able to feel that the joints don't align properly.

Latest posts

Back