Toenail falling off

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelisabeth

Reaction score
A few months ago when I first adopted my bun one of her toenails fell out (or was chewed out). There was a lot of blood and it really freaked me out but after I cleaned it up it was fine and there were never any other problems with her foot. Is this a common thing for bunnies?

If toenails get too long, they can snag on things and get torn off. This has happened to Gus twice (we're now much more diligent about keeping his nails trimmed!). Unless there is damage to the actual cuticle, in time the toenail will grow back just fine.

Hope that helps.

Rue

I think Pipp bent her's once and I left it, but one day not long after, she started violently flicking her foot and the thing went whizzing by my head with an amazing velocity.

Just missed my eye!

I've had a number of rabbits catch their nails and they've come out at the base and bled like crazy, but the rabbits never seemed too upset.

Although it happened again to Pipp and she was limping, but she's quite the diva.

They've grown back in thicker and shorter.

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back