toenail color

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheandg

Reaction score
I just got into showing and I had my first litter of fuzzy lops in nov. so they are 5 months old now and my chin doe just got DQ'ed for mismatched nails. I didn't even notice them since she had been shown at a few shows and they were fine at one point.....

so my question is should I NOT use her in my breeding program? She has a nice body. If I were to use her what would be a good color to breed her to so the offspring have a better chance of good toenail color? Would you just stay away from breeding her again? Her parents were a broken black and chestnut. I am new to all the genetics but of course eager to work on my line .....but I guess i want to have as many showable rabbits verses DQ's

All I can comment is that I borrowed a friends choc buck to put to two unrelated does ofdifferent colours and they both threw some babies withthe odd white toenail (which should have been coloured) So yes I would say it was hereditory and personally I wouldn't be wanting to breed from her again. (Also the owner of the said buck kept one of his daughters to breedto another buck and yet again more kits with white toenails!)

Hope that helps. Disappointing as it is, you wouldn't want to knowingly breed more rabbits with the same problem.

I've had an opal MIni rex buck that his nails lightened with age, so I sold him as a pet so I didn't have to worry about his kids' nails lightening with age as well. though his one litter, there were no solid opal's all brokens so I got extremely lucky on that litter.

Back