Toe biting....out of the blue????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yo

Reaction score
O.k., Mr.McGregor is on a roll here.... on another post it was his thumping...now it's toe biting!

Here's the scenario: Dad (or the one who brings in the dough to buy you nice pellets, greens, and toys) is sitting on the couch. Where he always sits. Mr.McGregor zooms over like a kamikaze pilot, snips at the toe and darts off!!! :shock: :?

The first time, it shocked Dad more than hurt, but did not put Mr. McG in a good light. And previously both were very good together-what little time they did spend. Dad is always petting Mr. M and calling him pet names like 'Petey' for Peter Rabbit :innocent So they are on darn good terms. Never an issue. But Mr. M pulls this stunt not once but twice in as many days!!! And the second time drew a tiny bit of blood. Needless to say Dad is not happy. He did nothing to warrant this.

The only two things I can think might be any connection are: 1. just about where Dad puts his feet is the place Mr. M had been lying during very hot days and where he could feel the fan, although there were the tiles he loves but would switch to the carpet and the feel of the fan. 2. Mr. M doesn't like the smell of Dad's stocking feet? Even though they do NOT smell! (yes, I'm very fortunate to have a man whose feet do not smell!)

Mr. M likes me very much but this, I don't believe, was a 'alpha male' thing, if there is such a thing in the bunny world. (is there?)

Back to #1, Mr. M hasn't sat in that spot hardly at all now! ugh.

So, what do you make of it? I'm clueless!

And if there is no interpretation, is there a way to stop Mr. M from biting Mr. D?

thanks for reading!!! Hope you can help!

O.k., now he just went for me! And he LOVES me!

I am sitting in the same place, the couch, where he bit Dad.

Hmmmm.....

What about for a bunny that is neutered? :( I have the same kinda situation... tried yelling "no" and squealing, and doing the "turn your back to him" scenario. Nothing's worked. :confused2:

It sounds like he is testing what he can get away with. I would correct this problem quick before it gets too bad. But forcing him can make him more frustrated. Be consistent and if you can neuter then go ahead.

Some of the ways I deal with bad behavior is turning the rabbit on their back but this can backfire. Try searching different ways to reprimand or correct a rabbit. Ive also heard of using a spray bottle just like with dogs and cats

woahlookitsme wrote:
It sounds like he is testing what he can get away with. I would correct this problem quick before it gets too bad. But forcing him can make him more frustrated. Be consistent and if you can neuter then go ahead.

Some of the ways I deal with bad behavior is turning the rabbit on their back but this can backfire. Try searching different ways to reprimand or correct a rabbit. Ive also heard of using a spray bottle just like with dogs and cats
Agree with Sarah, bunnies do test you to see how much they can get away with .

You could also place your hand on the bunnies head and gently push it to the floor and say No. Mom bunnies do that, without the verbal cue, to unruly kits.

But have heard spray bottles being used. And also agree with Sarah regarding flipping them over. I don't do that as a punishment or reprimand. I need my bunnies to be calm when I do that for grooming and check up purposes.

But you need to get your bunny's attitude under control. Be consistent with the reprimand. And it does take patience and time.

K

I think we'll try the spray bottle first. We've used it for other things, sometimes it worked. :/

thanks so much for all the help, everyone! whodda thunk of all the ins/outs of bunnydom!!??

What about bunny time out?

I would tell him NO and put him in his cage for a move like that. I think he'll eventually learn. Fixing him could help too!

Latest posts

Back