Toddler Gates

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jace

Reaction score
I just recently got a 42" toddler gate for Budso he can go between his room and mine and still block off the rest ofthe house/hallway to keep him away from the dogs and wires ect. Anywayi'm worried about him jumping over. It had holes in it and he keptlooking through so I put a blanket over it hoping he wouldn't see theother side and jump over to it. Will that be enough or what else couldI do to prevent him from hopping over?

What kind of rabbit is Bud? How big ishe? Is he known for jumping? I know my rabbit Tankwould clear that gate with ease but i dont think my other rabbits wouldeven attempt it....

I use a baby gate to keep Moxie confined to mybedroom - she's about 5lbs and even standing up she can't see over it,so I don't think she has any sense of how tall it actually is. She'snot really interested in it at all, we've never had a problem.

Just as ILTG said, it really depends on the rabbit and how prone they are to jumping.

My rabbits can jump that high, but they preferto jump up on to or down from things, not over high barriers.Although when Mocha was a baby she was known to bounce off walls likeJackie Chan to get over something.:D

I'd just keep an eye on him. Also, make sure it's hardplastic or wire, not that flimsy soft plastic that the really cheapones are made of. Mocha nipped a bunny-sized hole in one ofthose in about 30 seconds.

lol no i made sure to get the big tough durableone. he doesn't really seem to be that interested. after thinking aboutit he really seems to stretch up on his toes to see the top of thingshe jumps onto before he jumps onto it. so i'm guessing since he can'teven come close to seeing over he probly doesn't think about it much.

I thought Nibbles would be fine with a 36" puppyex-pen, since she generally doesn't like to jump high, but I've had avisitor in the early a.m. hours... She was getting a running start,binkying off one side (pen isn't set up in a square or rectangle) andthen using the momentum to sort of carom over the top. She's a goodclimber, too...

Now, I've got sheets and other material draped over the likely escapespots, and that seems to be working, along with a high plywood barrierto close off "her" room (it's my LR, or at least, it was 'til she camehere... ;)). I'm also giving her more frequent supervisedrunning/exploring time, and am thinking that did the trick.

At any rate, non-jumpers can jump when it suits them, and I've yet tofind a baby gate that Nibbles wouldn't be able to scale. :)

Latest posts

Back