Toby's behavior seems to have changed...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
Toby is starting to worry me. He seems much more calm. He is not coming out of his pen immediately after I open the door. He isn't as excited to come out and run in the living room. :( If anyone in the Infirmiry is not familiar with my baby Toby, he is a hyperactive, spunky, very aggressive to other bunnies, crazy little rabbit. Neutering did not change his hyper/aggressive behavior. To me, this is a pretty drastic change in behavior.

On Monday, I trimmed his nails. I wonder if the nail cutting fiasco hurt him. He was flying all over the place, landing all funny...Toby is chubbier, bigger, and stronger than the last time I had to handle him for nail cutting.He slipped away multiple times, clumsily slamming his tummy into the x-pen fence, the floor, the litter box, flying over the x-pen...The way he landed a couple of timeslooked pretty bad. But immediately after I got him in a steady hold, I clipped his nails in a couple minutes and he wasfree to go.

Afterwards, he atea couple of craisins and even ran around the living room a couple of times.The next morning (Tuesday) he was being crazy, itching to come out of his pen to run again.Tuesday night however, he seemed a touch off. He didn't seem as active. Yesterday night he was downright odd. He stayed in his hidey box most of the night even though his xpen was open for him to free roam. He came out only once, and a minute later he went back in his box. I just got home and he's still in his box. He comes out and sits, just staring around... sometimes he'll even chew on the bars as if he was itching to come out, but he doesn't seem to want to come out and play. He just came out as I was typing this, and hung out a bit, then went back in the pen.

I took advantage of his calm and pet him a lot. He grinds his teeth (I can feel it vibrating through his little head) when I pet him. I thought it was from happiness but could it be from pain?

I also changed half of his hay to Kleenmama bluegrass in the last couple of days. He still gets half Oxbow timothy. He eats his hay but maybe a tiny bit less than usual. I'm going to switch him back to full oxbow timothy tonight. He is still eating his lettuce and pellets, still drinking water. He poops and pees regularly still.

Mostly just his behavior has changed... I don't know why, or if it's cause for concern. Any advice?

The pain sound has been described as "crunching" their teeth. It's definitely different from the happy grind, but I haven't heard it myself so I can't give any other info than that. It is possible that he hurt himself--the pattern of not changing his behavior until Tue night sounds like muscle pain. He may have gotten a bit hurt, but if his movement doesn't seem to be compromised and he's not overtly expressing pain, it should just be muscle pain that will go away in a week or less.

I don't know what it is but Claire is correct that a significant change in behavior like this is a clue that something is not right although we don't know what it is. You need to be on high alert (you already are) for anything else that you can detect to give you clues to what may be going on.

I am trying to recall if the kleenmama bluegrass is a mix of timothy and alfalfa? used to know but cannot remember.

I would change him back to his original diet to rule that out as a reason.
Keep us updated and if it doesn't change in a few days i would bring him in for a check-up.

Bluegrass is Kleenmama's version of orchard grass. As far as I know there is no alfalfa. I don't see any either. It's pretty clean and homogenous.

As soon as I gave him 100% timothy hay again, he perked right up. He has been eating and eating and eating, ohh it's so fun to watch him eat so happily :biggrin2:

Since getting his timothy hay back, he has been bouncing around again. I'd say he's 80 or 90% back to normal activeness.

Thanks for your support, as always :hug:

Helen

Latest posts

Back