Tobi's Eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethM

Reaction score
When I was giving everyone bedtime raisins tonight, I noticed that Tobi's right eye has some clear discharge. It seems just a little puffy, but not really swollen or red. Photos at the bottom. Of course, this had to happen when the vet will be closed for the long weekend. (I'm not sure if they're open tomorrow morning or not.)

I was going to try to rinse her eye with saline, but all I have right now is "no-rub lens cleaner" or something like that. Will get saline in the morning. I will try to dry her face so I can see if it continues to have discharge through the night.

It wasn't like this yesterday. She is eating, pooping, and playing vigorously. I am hoping it is just a little irritation. Any suggestions?

100_1251.jpg

100_1255.jpg

A saline flush would be good.

I also use a warm compress of chamomile tea when Benji's eye(s) act up.

:pray:

The eye was still kind of "runny" this morning. I called our vet, the rabbit guy was booked solid for the day, but we were advised to bring her in to be seen on a "drop-off" basis. The vet saw her inbetween appointments (he actually got to her very quickly, we were only halfway home when he called us).

We were told there isn't anything wrong with her eye, apart from the discharge, but she has a mild ear infection on the same side which is probably causing the eye irritation. We got Baytril for the ear and Gentamicin for the eye, both to be administered twice daily for 7-10 days.

I hope I still have both hands at the end of this, she is a feisty little one who likes to use her teeth to convey displeasure. She has been more agressive than usual lately, so I am wondering if the ear infection has made her grumpy.

I will also be putting saline on my shopping list to have on hand for the future.

BethM wrote:
I hope I still have both hands at the end of this, she is a feisty little one who likes to use her teeth to convey displeasure. She has been more agressive than usual lately, so I am wondering if the ear infection has made her grumpy.

I will also be putting saline on my shopping list to have on hand for the future.

Speaking of teeth....Did the vet check them, too?

Saline is a "must" to keep on hand for bunny owners.
I always have a new unopened bottle on hand....and I buy a new one whenever I need to open the one I have.

The chamomile tea is good to have, too.
Not only does it make a good compress, but the aromatic qualities seem to have a calming effect on Benji.
I've also used it as a spray on hay to prompt him to eat.
It can be used to help with and upset tummy, too.

:pray:

I am not sure how well her teeth were checked. Since the only way to have her seen by the vet today was to drop her off, we were not actually there when the exam was done. (I wouldn't have like to do it this way, but I trust this particular vet. He was fantastic when my Nick had stasis.)

Also, the vet talked to my fiance on the phone. The vet said to give the ear/eye drops through the long weekend, and if it doesn't seem to be helping, to bring her back early next week. He said she if she had to come back, it was probably a tooth issue, but she would have to sedated for a full exam and x-ray for that. (Did I mention she's feisty? I just hope she didn't box or bite the doctor.) I suspect he probably did just a visual inspection to rule out any obvious tooth problems.

In any case, she needs the treatment for the ear infection, hopefully that will clear things up. He thought it best to treat the infection first before doing the sedation and x-rays.

I'll also be putting chamomile tea on my shopping list. ;)

What are the signs of an allergic reaction to Baytril Otic? Tobi has been doing quite well on her treatment until this evening. After I gave her meds, I took a shower, then came back into her room to find her ear very red. She was holding it differently than the other ear, and would flinch when it was touched. Otherwise, she has been playing, though she's eaten a little less than normal tonight. Also, no poops in the freshly cleaned litterbox. (Cleaned a few hours ago.)

That was about an hour ago, and the redness has gone down now. She does scratch pretty intensely right after she gets the Baytril, so that might be it.

Ok, so that first night we noticed the redness on her ear, it went down pretty quickly, and seemed normal the next morning. We decided she had scratched too much, and gave her the morning dose. The ear turned red *immediately,* and was still red when I got home from work that evening. So I felt terrible for doing that. My fiance didn't call the vet until we got home, they said they could give us something else, but there wasn't enough time to go get there before they closed.

We stopped in after work Thursday, and they gave us Zymox OTIC. 6-8 drops, once a day, for 7 days. The ear still gets a little pink right after we give it to her, but not nearly as bad as before.

Oh, and her eye looks great now. We were supposed to give the gentamicin for 10 days, but my fiance has trouble getting it in the eye, and we're almost out now.

Latest posts

Back