To Tiny's Mom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmh9023

Reaction score
I was reading one of your threads the other dayand you had a link to another rabbitry that bred really interestingcolors. They were about the cutest things I've ever seen!!! Iwanted to look at them again, but now I can't find the thread with thelink.

Also, are the lionheads like Tumnus...somewhat less furry with long hair mainly on their head...called single mane?

One last thing...When a breeder says they have a 20 or 30 or whatevernumber hole rabbitry, is that the total number of buns they have?

Wait, one more thing...I was looking at the one of the lionhead websites that had links to breeders in Wisconsin. Do you know of any ofthem and whether they are "good" or "bad" breeders....in terms ofloving and caring for their buns not in terms of their show quality?

Thanks!!

Hi - a lot of questions....so I'm quoting you so I can answer them all. Let me know if I miss anything..ok?

First of all - the site I recommended for colors was:

http://www.buffalocreekfarms.net/

Kelly raises awesome rabbits that are hand raised from almost birth(well - held a lot). I love her rabbits. I would not normally call themshow quality as she doesnt' focus as much on body type, etc. as shedoes color. But she's neat and for a pet rabbit - if you want a uniquelionhead - that's a good way to go. (She will be going to the LionheadNational convention in Ohio in May and is offering free delivery to it).

Ok - now about Tumnus. He could be single mane or he could be doublemane. Some double manes will lose their mane - I've had it happen.However, he looks like the majority of single manes that I've seen. Bythe time a lionhead is "senior" age for showing (6 months) - theyshould lose the fur around the flanking or skirting as it can be called- so they only have a mane around the face. I'm leaning towardsthinking Tumnnus is a single mane - but truth be told - I have somedouble manes that look like him. I just don't breed them as it meansthat their offspring will probably have manes that don't stick as wellas I'd like.

A breeder who has a 20 or 30 hole rabbitry has that many rabbits(usually at most) but not counting the babies. I won't tell you mynumber of holes - for one thing - I haven't counted them in a long timeand I don't know if I want to! But if I had 20 rabbits and 12babies right now - I'd be saying I have a '20 hole rabbitry" as thebabies will probably move on...

I don't know if this is where you saw the listing of rabbitries in WI:

http://www.lionhead.us/breeders.htm#WISCONSIN

If it is.....I only know the LeAnn and her husband (aweome couple - wehad a meal with them at Nationals last year and she's getting a buckfrom me this year for her magpie program) and I know of Tammy Setzkebut have never dealt with her. The others may be great breeders - Ijust don't know them.

LeAnn is one of my favorite lionhead folks handsdown though and if Iremember right - her goals are to have her rabbits socialized. She justgot started last year and she has some of my rabbits (that is NOT whyI'm recommending her) - and I think that I like her because her goalsare a lot like my goals - to breed good quality lionheads but to focuson having them be family-friendly.

I would recommend LeAnn in a heartbeat - but she also works withTammy I think and that would be good too. Tammy has some nice rabbits.

I haven't checked any of the other websites that are listed...so I can't really say anything about them...sorry!

Peg

cmh9023 wrote:
I was reading one of yourthreads the other day and you had a link to another rabbitry that bredreally interesting colors. They were about the cutest things I've everseen!!! I wanted to look at them again, but now I can't findthe thread with the link.

Also, are the lionheads like Tumnus...somewhat less furry with long hair mainly on their head...called single mane?

One last thing...When a breeder says they have a 20 or 30 or whatevernumber hole rabbitry, is that the total number of buns they have?

Wait, one more thing...I was looking at the one of the lionhead websites that had links to breeders in Wisconsin. Do you know of any ofthem and whether they are "good" or "bad" breeders....in terms ofloving and caring for their buns not in terms of their show quality?

Thanks!!

If Im not mistaken, Peg is also offering tobring bunnies up to the show in OH if youre interested in hers.;)We could probably arrange some sort of transport.

Eek! I was looking at that website:

513btortpixieandlb.jpg

522thumbilasamchocdoe.jpg

I want them all :D

Thanks for the information! I've got to do alittle thinking on it. I currently have one single guy that I've beenthinking about getting a partner for. He's the one in the avatar. Iknow that Easter's coming and a month or two later all the shelters inthe area will be filled with discarded Easter buns needing a home. I'veonly ever got pets from shelters, but I've learned from this web sitethat there are breeders who really love their buns, know their names,give them exercise time, etc. Also, I've been reading about the breederin Illinois. That's only about 2 1/2 hours away from me so dependinghow that case turns out, there may be a lot of needed homes from that.

I must say the Buffalo Creek buns are THE most adorable things ever!!!Her site said that she is passing through Illinois in May which,depending how for south she'll be, isn't too far from me.Hmmmmm.....But how could you even choose from that adorable bunch!!!

The Setzke rabbitry is only about 20 minutes away from my house,believe it or not. However, it looks like they have an awful lot. Twosay "Must go. Need the room now." That seems a little cold.Do you think? Or is that just the way it goes? The otherone...the people you know...are only about an hour away. Might be wortha little visit?! Do you have a web site with your available buns or istheir a link somewhere on here? I love reading your stories and howeach of them have such unique personalities.

Sorry this got so long! It's kind of exciting to think about :)

I can tell your rabbit is a lop - right? Or am I seeing it wrong?

I will say that I have three lop does living in the rabbitry with mylionheads and they get along famously. When I had a mini lop buck inthe garage - he had lionheads on all sides of him and he got along withthem fine - of course they were all caged.

My point? I find that lops and lionheads go well together and a lot oftimes you will find that lionhead breeders also breed lops...

As far as who to go with...that's tough. I'm not getting any of LeAnn'srabbits but only because I already have my lines for the "COD"(Certificate of Development aka showable) colors. I'm getting fourlionheads (I think) from Kelly at Buffalo Creek. I'm getting a bluedoe, a broken blue doe, a chocolate buck and a chocolate tortbuck. While I don't consider Kelly's rabbits "showable" (shedoesn't breed with that in mind) - she has such a unique blend ofrabbits and comes up with the cutest lionheads. I have thought abouttrying to compete with her for the pet market - but I would have toship like she does - and San Antonio is 3 hours one way.

But I would have to say that LeAnn and Kelly and I probably share muchof the same viewpoint on handling kits and socializing them oncethey're born....

Peg

P.S. Kelly will be going through Ill. on her way to Ohio fromwhereever she lives...so look on a map and you can probably guess herroute! She's a really nice person... Last year I wasn'tgetting any rabbits from her at all...then she asked me to just walkout to the car and see what she had. BIG MISTAKE! BADKELLY! BAD PEGGY! Five rabbits later....(withpayment arrangements set up since we knew each other)....I was takingmore home. Art was so thrilled...NOT!

Anyway - if you arrange to meet Kelly and she says, "come see what elseI brought..." don't tell me later that I didn't warn you. Once you seeone of hers - you'll want them all!

I might be totally missing something, but I can't seem to find even what city or state Buffalo Creek is in from the web site. :?

OH MY GOSH. Sorry to interupt this thread....but uhhhhh.....

PEG....Do you ever have any chocolate babies born at your rabbitry?! If so, add that to my list! *dies*.

I just got waaaaay over excited:foreheadsmack:.

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

Well, I have a chocolate otter doe (she is NOTfor sale) and a chocolate doe and a black otter buck that gives mechocolate (he is the daddy of the chocolate otter doe).

I also have coming a chocolate buck and a chocolate tort buck...

So this year, I do plan on working on my chocolate program.

I think chocolate lionheads are among the most beautiful I've seen.

Peg

undergunfire wrote:
OH MY GOSH. Sorry to interupt this thread....but uhhhhh.....

PEG....Do you ever have any chocolate babies born at your rabbitry?! If so, add that to my list! *dies*.

I just got waaaaay over excited:foreheadsmack:.

This is Cocoa - my chocolate doe. This was taken in 2005 but she looks a lot like this still...just bigger.

This is my new chocolate buck - I may name him Ghiradelli (sp?) - I haven't decided yet.

This is my chocolate tort buck. He looks like a tort sort of but hispoints will be chocolate (you can't really see them). I'm trying tocome up with a name for him.

I don't have a picture of my chocolate otter doe. Her name is Cookies'n Cream. If you've ever seen an otter - they have a white/cream tummyand just adorable markings..

Peg

They are sooooo gorgeous! I want a magpie harlieand a pure chocolate lionhead now....and it must be very fluffy, hehe.Oh Oh! That broken chinchilla on your website also!

Their cute little faces make me giggle like a little girl:inlove::embarrassed:.

Ah...now the broken chin you'll have to steal to get him...he's just so....cute.

I can hardly wait to breed him - I've got a squirrel doe (a blueversion of a chinchila) and I'm going to take her to him. There is agood chance I'm going to wind up with broken squirrel and broken chinsince his dad carries the dilute gene that makes blues.

*I can't get another bunny right now*

Well, I think I better tell Ryan we need to start looking for a houseto rent within the next two months before I run to Texas and back witha lionhead and a warrent out for my arrest:run::devil:cop:.

I need to photograph a sable point doe I haveand share her photo. She looks like a huge cotton ball with two ears.I'm hoping and praying she sheds out (she should) - she'll probablykeep a nice mane....unless her mane just continues with the rest of herbody to look like a cotton ball.

I'm sitting here watching her now. She's a hoot. Well....ok ... so I have to tell a story.

She is in a weanling cage with three other does. All the girlsare....getting older...getting along fine - but getting close tobreeding age. They're good friends.

Now - on one side of the cage - in my dining room....there is a doublecage with two bucks in it. Young bucks....about the same age as thegirls.

The bucks' cage is 3" lower than the girls' cage and I've made sure NOTHING can happen as the bars don't line up right.

But in the mornings - and in the early afternoons - the girls willstart preening themselves...right in front of the bucks. They'll getclose to the bucks' cage and start grooming each other and then rubbingthemselves against the cage.

The poor bucks are going nuts! They're sitting in their cages at fullattention - trying to get the girls to come closer. Then one buck willgroom himself - the other buck will look over and start groominghimself - and the girls are STILL preening in front of the bucks.

I would move the bucks...but it is so darn funny and I have no where toput them unless I put their cage in the bathtub. That is why they're ingrow out cages right now (for Nationals).

So anyway, as I'm typing right before I started telling about them -starts grooming herself - then sees the bucks are sleeping andignoring her - or at least not noticingher.

So she goes over....rubs her head against one buck's cage (waking himup) and then the other buck's cage (waking him up) ... and then shebacks off and lays down and ....

goes to sleep.

So...I now have two VERY INTERESTED bucks who are wide awake ...

...and the girls are sleeping.

See how much FUN lionheads can be?

Ok - Art groomed her before I got her photo done- but here is the little sable point doe I was talking about thatteased the guys..

Peg

Oh my gosh, she is so adorable! I love the little hats you put on them also, very cute!!

Latest posts

Back