to those with outside rabbits...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are on concrete, which makes it easy.

What are yours on? Mud? Grass?

Are they permanently there or just when supervised or daylight hours?

Also, is the run movable?

Could you use something like chicken wire and put it flush to the floor and put the run on top? That is something most of my adopters do, or else they diga couple of feet down, put the chicken wire there and then put the soil on so the buns can dig some distance, but not out.

the run wil be on grass. we are going to cutom build it.they will be permanently where they are. the pen may be moveable but i doubt it. was thinking abouy concrete but what about the rabbits feet?

If the rabbits have properly trimmed nails and also somewhere to gop that is soft and also off the floor then that's not a problem for your average rabbit (although obviously if problems develop you may need a rehtink). Concrete is also far easier to clean too.

When you make the run remember it will need to be fully weather and predator proof as well as bunny proof.

Are the temperatures in your area ok for rabbits to be outside in all year round?

They will also need a bed area area somewhere too.

I think the heat is more of a problem than the cold. I assume they will have some sort of shelter inside the pen where they can get out of the sun, rain, or cold drafts?

Charity lives in the same area as I do, and my bunnies are outdoors also. The major concern about weather is the humidity & heat - as long as they have a shaded area it should be good. (Frozen soda bottles ftw).

In the run we had before outside, it had metal plates put along the edge just below the dirt-line where the fence met the ground - there was no way bunnies were digging through that (btw, we rented there and this was a previous dog run so they must have had issues with digging dogs). The run we have now, I've re-enforced with bricks & stone around the fence edge where the fence meets the ground - my bunnies though can get up quite far so had to reinforce with rabbit fencing on top of the wood boards up to about 6ft. My doe is a champion digger, so I've really had to keep an eye on her.

Back