To those with bunnies and cats:

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskylollipop

Laura the Bunsnuggler
Reaction score
Hi! So I have my two small breed bunnies. And now I have a cat as well. He is a pretty formidable moggy, already 4kgs and he's just 6 months old. Tall, lithe, likes his rough playtime. I never really thought about cats playing rough but then I remember they are predators. What I'm getting at is, he's scary with his toys. He's really fast and strong and brimming with energy and the bunnies are no match. So my big kitten is probably gonna want to play with the buns when they are formally introduced. And when they run, I am sure he is gonna chase them.

So to fellow ROers with cats - how do you keep your bunnies safe? How do you trust your cats with them? I know many say their bunnies bully their cats, but from what I see with Odin, I honestly don't see it happening. He loves stalking, chasing and killling. I just don't think I could have them out at the same time. Is clipping the cats claws enough to ensure the cat's "play" isn't the bunny's "fatal injury"?

I have cats and many rodents including rats, guinea pis, bunny,hamsters and a gerbil and my cats have never once tried to go after any of my rodents not to say that ures won't try so if ure truly worried about it, I'd just when you do introduce them make sure your right there and maybe have one other person just in case you need to grab kitty but most likey it will be fine my cats never use there claws when playing.

We have an outdoor cat that kills birds and mice. But when he sees my little 2lb Polish running around he is scared they will hurt him. The one day our buck chased him and he ended up scratching my daughter so that she had lines all down her legs from him jumping down to get away from the bunny! So it depends on the cat!

Put a harness on the cat when you introduce them so you have full control at all times but don't be tense or stressed when holding the lead because that energy transfers to your pet stay positive and calm it should work out for you

Thanks for the encouragement guys. :) And surf_storm, that is a great idea, thanks!

So do you guys leave the cats unsupervised with the bunnies? And they don't accidentally scratch them or chase a bunny doing a bunny 500?

Hi, first I am a beginner when it comes to bunnies but will share what I do each time a new pet enters our household.
1) cuddle, pat the new member get their scent all over your clothes,hands etc. (make sure health is ok of all animals)
2) we then interact with the other animals letting them sniff us and showing them affection.
We do this for the first few days and then increase visual interaction.
I used to breed birds and hand rear them so they were inside flying around,climbing all over the place and this is how we taught our cat and 3 dogs (Rottweiler X,Mastiff X & Bichon Frisse)that we are all one family and family don't EAT family!

Our cat used to get harassed terribly by my Princess Parrot 'Frank' who used to get on the floor next to the cat,bang his beak on the floor right near her and run away saying 'Sucker'. He'd even call her, 'Here Puss Puss Puss' she'd come running thinking it food time and he'd laugh this evil laugh at her.
It can be done but it all depends on how much time your willing to put in for it to be sucssessful.
BUT in saying this I NEVER leave my bun's unattended with the dogs nor the cat, I always supervise. My Doc Wilbur likes to round the cat up so she is under the table and then he chills next to her.

Sorry for long post but thought it may help.

cheers shooni

Thanks for the encouragement guys. :) And surf_storm, that is a great idea, thanks!

So do you guys leave the cats unsupervised with the bunnies? And they don't accidentally scratch them or chase a bunny doing a bunny 500?

No, I never leave my cat and rabbit unsupervised, not ever. My kitty is old and gentle yet I still do not ever leave the room when they are both together. Even though my cat has been scared of Sophie in the past and hasn't ever gone out of her way to bug her, Sophie LOVES my cat and wants to constantly get in her face. My cat has given her warning thumps on the head, no claws, but I believe that animals are unpredictable so I would never want to take the chance of anything happening. Also, because my cat is old, there may come a time when she's not feeling well and possibly lash out at Sophie if Sophie gets in her space too much.

I would also be concerned if your cat spent a lot of time staring the rabbits down, acting predatory. My cat doesn't do that at all and to be honest, hardly ever looks Sophie in the eye. Sophie doesn't see her as a threat at all! That's what worries me! She wants to be besties with the cat lol!

We had a client who's cat and rabbit loved together peacefully for three years before the cat killed the rabbit.
My cats (or dogs for that matter) will never spend any alone time with my rabbits. Animals are unpredictable some times and its in predators nature to kill prey.

Clipped claws alone will not prevent injury, cats catch prey with their claws, but they kill with a bite. You can certainly try to introduce the cat and rabbits, however I would never leave them unattended either.

Oh jeebus. Okay, its not THAT safe then! Odin does watch the bunnies a lot, but I can't tell if he's having predatory thoughts or is just curious. The other time he fell asleep beside their pen. If he has a go at the bunnies I'd never forgive myself :(

Latest posts

Back