To those really familiar with bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
This was something originally written directlyto Pipp, but I thought I would open it up to general opinion from thosethat are really familiar with bonding...

So, I wanted to ask...my Maisie seems to really be the exception to therule, in that she REALLY doesn't seem like she wants to havecompany. Is this just because she's not spayed?

Let me explain a little better. It's not exactlycage-agressiveness, it's more like "I enjoy my time alone" or somethingalong those lines. Ever since having Flower, I've noticedthat Flower JUMPS at any attention you'll give her, whereas Maisie justdoesn't. It's led me to believe that Maisie just likes herprivate time and space.

When she was a baby, she enjoyed being held once a day, and would sitin my lap, but otherwise, was pretty much the same...quite theloner. She liked to roam around on her own, check things out,(be mischevious), play, etc. She would come back to meoccassionally for a few pets, but then go running off again toplay. Once the hormones set in, it cultivated into her givingme a few warning nips when she didn't want company, and ONLY letting mepet her. It lends to the thought that she's maybe just not asattention-oriented as Flower is.

I've read a few things about buns sometimes being moreanimal-attention-oriented than human, but she doesn't really interactwith the kitties, either, and I've caught her imitating Flower's habitsa bit, but that's really all.

When I think of Maisie, the term "mama's girl" comes to mind, because,though she hasn't bonded with me quite like Pipp's mentioned her cutelittle dwarfy bunny has bonded with her (bathing and such), she seemsto quite literally ignore everyone else, but is interested in love fromme when I come to her cage (when she's in the mood for somepetting, that is). I've tried having my husband give herfood, hay, and water, and such, to see if maybe it was that she lovedthe hand that fed her, but still...she only really lets me pether. Could it be that she feels bonded to ME, and just isn'tinterested in bonding with anyone else?

Just pondering, really...:)

Hugs!

Rosie*

P.S. It's kinda things like this that make me weary of tryingto bond Maisie and Flower in the future. If Maisie's decidedto bond with me (which I don't mind, I mean...cool!), does that meanshe won't want to bond with another bun? Just kindatrying to get a feel for bonding and such in regards topersonality. (Does general bun personality play much part inbonding?)

For myself...hehe!

One of the nice things about being a breeder -is all of the rabbits I get to experience. I'm sure shelter volunteerswould tell you the same thing.

I have some rabbits that just love everybody. I have some rabbits thatlike to cuddle with other rabbits. I have some rabbits....that areloners.

For example, when I go to feed rabbits, Slade dances in his pen andthen waits for me to pet him. If I don't pet him - he sulks. He doesn'tcare about his food.

Harry - couldn't care less about pets. Put that food in the bowl and bequick about it....and there's no please anywhere in that statement.

Qball sulks if I ever go in the rabbitry and don't pet him - even if it is simply to let the dog out.

Some of my rabbits like to be held and watch tv with us.....others would rather sit in their cage or play with their toys.

I allow several of my does to live together in a community typeatmosphere. Most of the time it goes ok - we get some minor skirmishesand sometimes a doe will get "time out" in a cage for a while.

Some of them I can count on to be in a cage together almost anytime Iwalk in the rabbitry. Matilda has her cage on the 2nd level so she canjump up and down as she wants. Eighty percent of the time there is atort doe that is in there with her (no relation at all). Twenty percentof the time - the doe is down playing on the floor.

I guess my point is this - not all rabbits "need" other rabbits - oreven humans. Sure...they might find us fascinating. They appreciate thefact that we bring them food and treats.

But some are just loners. Others need a companion...and still others choose a human for their companions.

Just my .02 ~ sorry it was so long.

Peg

I'm sure if you asked my Sunny Bunny (and if she could talk), she'dtell you that she prefers having a human around to give quick pets andcuddles, and to play tug of war with her rattle when she feels likeit....Misu however, would tell you that he anxiously awaits any one ofus humans to come home so he can be cuddled, pet, and generally be madea fuss over.

Sunny is definitely more affectionate since her spay, but less so sincebonding with Misu...He's her main cuddler and cuddlee now.

Well, there has been a lot of debate over this question.

My opinion is that even a really standoffish or seemingly independantbunny can bond with a more laid back bunny (Naturestee's Mocha, forinstance).

The only way you can really know is to get her spayed and take her on afew bunny dates with some neutered boys. She might just fall in love.

Misty and I were bonded to each other for over 6months. We snuggled together on a daily basis - lots ofmutual grooming. She was very independant as well, doing herown thing, but she was lonely when I was not home.

Neil and I got Charlie and she hated both Charlie andI for avery long time. It took her about 4-5 months to come aroundto having Charlie in the house and she hated me for about a month -stopped being cuddly, and started trying to bite my head off for weeks.

Eventually she and Charlie started getting along and now I could neverimagine her without him. They are inseperable and she takesvery good care of her little brother. She is always cuddlinghim and grooming him. The two of them are two peas in apod. I personally would never have just 1 bunny anymore - nowthat I have a bonded pair. She is so much happier with apartner in crime.

Only recently (after Misty's 1st bithday) has she become really cuddlyagain - and I think it's more an age thing. She's done herhormonal teenager years and is back to being a sweet babygirl. Charlie is now getting into his teenage years, and Inotice that he is exactly as Misty was - standoffish, independant.

This is just my experience though, so may not apply to Maisie. Masie sounds an awful lot like Misty though.

Well, Mocha is very needy, just very aggressiveto boot. Loki now, he didn't care about Mocha atall. Aside from a little curiosity he didn't want to beanywhere near her. He had to learn to like her, and it tookabout a month. Suddenly he went from biting her every timeshe came near to mounting her every chance he got, and after that dayhe just wanted to snuggle with her and be groomed. But he hadto learn that.

I agree with Nadia- I wouldn't have a bunny alone unless I had triedbonding him several times and it didn't work. MBB's Spice isa good example. My bonded buns are so much a part of eachothers lives that I can't imagine them alone. And if Oberondoesn't bond with my fairy girls, I may ask Julie at SRR to request heonly go to a home where he'll have a friend because I think he reallywould like one.

jordiwes wrote:
Yes, Misty is the perfect example.

I consider you an absolute bonding pro, Honeypot!
:pullhair:<- That's what I was like for the whole 5 months!

________
Nadia

Okay, thank you so much, guys!

I'll take all your advice into account, and continue on my plan withTrixie, and to also spay Maisie soon after they're bonded, so I can trybonding all three. I have to give warning, though...myhusband said that after Trixie, that absolutely, positively NO moreanimals in the house.

I'll be patient with bonding her with the other two girls,though. I don't want her to live alone, but in the long run,if she prefers it, I don't want to force anything different on her, yaknow?

Latest posts

Back