To pet or not to pet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mubunny

Reaction score
That is the question. I know Winston doesn't like to be touched. He'll go out of his way to swat away my hand. Poplar on the other hand won't move at all when you pet him. I know he is likely scared out of his little mind but I'm wondering if by petting him every so often I can teach him that I'm a nice person since he's the most reserved. Winston comes right up to me and my boyfriend, even when we are standing, but hates a stroke and Poplar will hide at every sound but is picked up and petted easily. When I rub Poplars cheeks he closes his eyes, I don't know if he likes it or is just worried I'll poke his eyes. I've heard that bunny massages can help calm the nerves of a worried bun but I haven't found any good resources about how to give them.

Personally there's no point in keeping a rabbit if I can't pet and hold it. Except for biters, rabbits will eventually allow me to pick them up and pet them.

They will initally struggle but if I hold them firmly against my body they'll calm down. Some may take weeks or months to get use to it. The best way for me to pick them up is from the top opening cage. I grap the skin about mid back so the rabbit stays horizontal and can't kick. Then I put it between my arm and torso and pet it. If you try to pick one up too far forward it will kick its back legs and probably get hurt.

I find the best thing to win over a shy rabbit is treats. I teach the rabbit through association.

First you need to find a treat that the rabbit goes nuts for. Then, once they are taking treats comfortably, I just give a small gentle nose rub while they eat the treat.

Same thing at breakfast time when I feed pellets. I give a gentle pet while they are absorbed in eating pellets.

I would also just give them a couple weeks to settle in. I can't remember how long it has been since you adopted them from the Humane Society.

I have one boy that has taken about 4 years to start asking for nose rubs. He is very shy and is scared by everything. But he is now coming out of his shell, it has just taken a very long time to gain his trust.

-Dawn

Rabbit's can learn but they can learn something is bad as well as good. Build up slowly doing things he' s comfortable with. If he happy for you to approach him? Is he happy for you to sit next to him? Will he take food from your hands? Is he comfortable if your hand in near but not touching?

Only if all those are questions you can answer yes to can you move on to actual touching. Then you have: will he accept you briefly touching him with one finger? etc. etc.

Break it down in to smal steps, get him used to each by learning nothing bad happens when you do those things and that sometimes good things happen ie treats. If he runs then let him, it just shows he's free to move away if he wants and most bunnies curiosity won't keep them away long :)

I would let him sniff you out and see that you're not going to hurt hum before you try to pet him. My Muffin came from an abuse/neglect situation and was hand-shy for months after I got her. Best thing to do is sit on the floor and ignore him while you let him play and run around you. He'll try to investigate you and climb on you--just let him. Eventually you can pet and interact with him when he comes up to you--just take it slowly.

I would give him treats - hand feed everything. Even take a portion of his pellets and hand feed them all. As he's eating, give him some light pets, starting on his head. Gradually he'll associate food with pets.

If you sit on the floor with your shy bunny, does he let you pet him? You mentioned petting him while you're holding him, but I'm curious if he lets you do this while he's free. If he's free and doesn't run away, I would say that he likes it. Most bunnies will leave if they don't like something, not hang around. Does he put his head down on the ground and make himself very flat when you pet him? This is a definite sign of enjoyment. If he huddles up and looks uncomfortable, perhaps he's only submitting out of fear, but I think it's unlikely that he would submit when he could run and hide from you instead. I would keep giving him pets, especially while feeding him.

For your more outgoing bunny, I would work on petting him a lot (doing it with food should help). He's obviously not scared of you, and I think with work he will enjoy petting. It took over 6 months of living with my bun to get him to sit still for petting of any kind. Now after having him for 10 months he enjoys petting probably 50% of the time. It's a gradual process, but he'll never learn to enjoy it if you don't do it. Since he's not afraid of you, you can be a little more outgoing towards him. It's my theory that all buns love to be groomed by a bunny friend, they just have to learn that being groomed (aka petted) by you is as enjoyable as being groomed by another bunny.

The shy boy seems to only run from noises so if I quietly reach in and pet him he doesn't run. He does huddle though, even though he has two boxes to hide in and they are both easily accessible.

I have been able to pet Winston while he eats but if I go for more then two pets he'll give me the evil eye. I guess I'll keep on with that, he needs to learn to be less grouchy anyways.

For the shy bun, I would reach in and give him a few strokes, then give him a treat. Or maybe give a treat first, pet him a couple times, give another treat, then leave. Gradually build this up. He'll learn that you bring food, and food and pets go together. And if he is afraid, he'll learn that you only pet him quickly before leaving.

Also, he may enjoy being petting in a confined area. My own bun seems to enjoy being petted more while he's in his cardboard hideaway. He'll flatten out and close his eyes. But if I try to pet him while he's loose in a room, it makes him nervous (maybe he thinks I'm going to pick him up?) and he'll often hop away. It might make your guy feel more secure if he's in a small area and you can only get one hand in at a time (as long as he's not obviously trying to get as far away from you as possible or something).

I've also found that bunnies seem less nervous about faces than hands. Would he let you put your face up to his face and maybe kiss him on the forehead or brush him with your nose? When my bun was skittish, this worked really well for him. Hands can be grabby, so your face is less threatening (though I wouldn't try this with your other guy - sounds like he'd smack you in the face! haha)

Latest posts

Back