to pee or not to pee, that is my question!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got an email from RO saying I haven't been here in awhile and why not stop by? I thought, "Good idea, I'll see if anyone has an opinion on the problems Hershey has been having!"

So, here's the scoop:

I've had Hershey since he was 7 weeks old, he is now 6 years old, Dutch, male, neutered @ 8 months. The only ongoing health problem is fleas/tapeworm. I treat him monthly for fleas, but he still insists on getting tapeworm. As soon as I find one, I treat him, then again 2 weeks later.

Litter box training had been vg until several years ago when the tape worm problem appeared. I gave up and just use puppy pads now.

Recent problem:

I took Hershey to the vet several months ago thinking he had a UTI. He had all the signs: frequent urination, urinating everwhere, (even saw a little puddle form under him when he was laying near me), drinking more water, really foul smelling urine. He does sometimes appear to be having pain, and sometimes when he trying to urinate. But it's a very subjective observation on my part.

The vet looked at his urine sample and couldn't find any sign of infection. Said he really acted like he had an UTI but maybe urinary stones. We decided to give Baytril and see what happens.

It cleared up ... almost. It also took 4 - 5 days to start improving. A couple weeks later it got worse again. More Baytril, same result.

I tried not giving him any veggies. That had the same result as giving him Baytril, so I'm thinking there are some veggies that might be irritating his urinary tract.

That is where I am now. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
Certain veggies that are high in oxalic acid or calcium can cause sludge and urinary problems with some rabbits. You could try reducing these things in his diet to see if it helps. If you use an alfalfa based pellet you would need to transition him to a timothy pellet as well, as alfalfa has a lot of calcium in it too. Here are some veggie lists. One lists the veggies high in OA, the other the ones high in calcium.

http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html
http://www.3bunnies.org/feeding.htm#greens

Yep, but sometimes spring mix has spinach in it too which is high in both calcium and OA. Some veggies are diuretic, like dandelion greens and parsley, which could make him have to pee more. That could either be good or bad. Peeing more without increased water intake would be bad. The Baytril and greens may both make him have less pain, but it may be due to clearing an infection with the baytril and reduced peeing with the greens--not the same cause. I think UTIs need to be treated for at least 14 days, even once it gets better. If possible, an x-ray might help you find if there are stones or sludge in his urinary system.

:bunnyhug:Thanks for your help guys! I always wonder what happens to the rabbits I read about here, so here's an update:

I limited his veggies to several different kinds of lettuce, mint and cilantro (I love the smell when he eats mint and cilantro! lol!). He is drinking a lot less water, peeing less, and it doesn't smell as bad.

He still pees on his back feet though. I guess I'll give it a little while. If it doesn't improve, I'll make a vet appointment.

Back