To Neuter or not???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apebull

Reaction score
HI everyone,

My daughter has a bunny named Twigs that was living at my mom's house. He is 2 yrs old and for her birthday (turned 10)we decided to let Twigs live with us.:D He was outside in a hutch his whole life, but now he is a house bunny. So far things have been good. He's in hisconfined area at night and while we are out. But when we are home we let him out to explore the living & dinning rooms. Here's our problem.

First he POOPS everywhere. Not lots but a poop here and there as he's running around. Nota huge issue she just has to keep a tissue handy and pick them up when it happens. And some days it doesn't happen at all. And he does use his litter box like a good bunny.

Then he started to spray. His favorite thing to spray is our daughter and sometimes our son. He has sprayed some of the furniture but mostly he sprays her.

Now he as started to hump her leg when she's sitting on the ground. He even tries it when she's walking away from him. The kids think it's funny and he's attacking/playing with them. But I know differently.

My question is will neutering a 2 yr old rabbit help the issue? Or is he too old???

PS I also posted this in the welcome section by accident sorry:(

I have a four year old bunny who humps legs and poops. I havent had a problem with spraying, but I have decided to get him neutered because I heard it does help. More experienced bunny people can give you better info, though.

Neutering would probably be a good idea. The spraying is hormonal, so should be reduced or eliminated by neutering (it can still take a few weeks, but should go down). Humping is probably mostly hormonal, so should also be reduced by neutering. Humping can also be for dominace, so you can still have some humping but it should be more targeted toward objects and mostly other rabbits. The litter habits outside the cage should improve with neutering, but it might not. Rabbits will poop around their area to mark it, so it can still happen when they are neutered but will hopefully be less.

2 years is not too old to neuter and see changes. It may take a bit longer for you to notice the changes, but it should still happen within about a month afterwards. Some behaviours can be more learned, so might not go away totally but can still be lessened with neutering.

Thanks for the advice. I've been calling around to vet and have found the price to run anywhere from $55 to $200 forneutering.

He is super cute though andis so much fun to have around. Yesterday he learned he can hop onto the couch with us :p.

Just the spraying & humping is a little much especially with kids around. Just yesterday he sprayed her in the face. GROSS!!!

Neutering is a very good thing. Just make sure the vet knows what they are doing. Pain control is critical for rabbits or they won't eat. Also, never take their food away before surgery because they can't vomit so it isn't necessary. Stasis is a much bigger threat for them.

I've been looking & looking around for low-cost rabbit neutering clinics, because I've been wanting to get my rabbit neutered for some time. But, he's going to be 4 years old this August, & I'm not really sure if it's more risky neutering an older-type bun. I've finally found a low-cost rabbit savvy place 15 minutes from my home. Anybody have experience neutering an older bunny? how did everything turn out? I want to make sure he won't be in any danger. He sprays a LOT, & keeps going after my dog. I try seperating them, but i'm not the only person in my home, & others don't cooperate 100% of the time. i'm afraid one day my dog might attack him. :/

Ok I have another question. The one of the vets I called in my search for someone to neuter him asked if he had been vaccinated? Do bunnies have to be vaccinated and against what???

Apebull wrote:
Ok I have another question. The one of the vets I called in my search for someone to neuter him asked if he had been vaccinated? Do bunnies have to be vaccinated and against what???
Rabbits do NOT need vaccinations in North America. There really aren't any routine vaccinations anyway.
Be careful with low cost places. Most are set up for dogs and cat and know nothing about rabbits. Rabbits should never be fasted before or after surgery (they can't vomit, so no risk of choking on it) and since dogs and cats are fasted the clinics will say to fast even when it is wrong for rabbits.
You really need to do your research on vets. It is good to ask questions and if the receptionist doesn't give good answers, ask to talk to the vet. If you are still not getting good answers, then move on to a different vet.

Latest posts

Back